Killing the Past

Kylo relaxed at his desk in his quarters, typing up another detailed report on his datapad to send to Sienar-Jaemus Fleet Systems for further modifications to his TIE Silencer. The dogfight against the squadron of pirates attempting to commandeer a First Order supply vessel had been a simple and uncomplicated victory. At least, that is what he told his general. His only complaint was the deflector shield generator along with the rest of his defense systems had powered off independently during the mission. It was a curious failure in an otherwise competent system, a failure he did not believe was accidental.

His typing was interrupting by the ding of an incoming encrypted message. It was from a source outside the First Order. It should have been impossible – anyone having access to his personal account information. He opened the message to find three words: why those coordinates? Growling in irritation, he closed the message and resumed his account of the massive systems failure on his Silencer. His typing became more aggressive and his droid whirred somewhere across the room.

"The distraction was most definitely welcomed." His resonant voice reverted off the walls of his chambers, dulling the sharp pang of loneliness. The mission had been foolish, but it was better than discovering new methods to isolate himself. It would have been more satisfying, however, without the lecture from his contemptuous general about what were and were not appropriate battles for the Supreme Leader to engage in.

"Hux demands that I sit idle and do nothing. I am the Supreme Leader; I can engage in whatever battle I choose, without insolent remarks from my subordinate." The disagreement was only settled when he assured Hux that he could assume the throne should the reigning Supreme Leader be killed in battle. Hux found the prospect much too enjoyable, in his opinion. Kylo had the Force, but his general was ambitious and conniving. "We are on colliding paths; I can sense it."

Something had changed while he was gone. He could have attended the battle debriefing following his return, but he hadn't, because he knew what he did was treason. "What I have done ever since you crashed into my life is against everything I've fought for. I am everything I once despised. I don't know what I am doing anymore." As he sat in his quarters, confirming his fears about sabotage, he should be attending the Weapons Development meeting with the other top-ranking officials. That was where he was supposed to be, but that wasn't where he wanted to be. He didn't know where he wanted to be anymore. "All I know is I would rather be right here... with you."

"I have never been so... lost." The ambition, the anger, the drive to fight died with Luke. And without that bloodlust, he was beginning to see the First Order in a new light. A different light. He thought he could change it – create a new order, but they contended with him over every change he made. Had their principles truly aligned as he had always assumed? Or did he have such a myopic focus that as long as he was furthering his own personal agenda, he had not hesitated to consider theirs? "Yes, the galaxy needs order. But why does this feel more like chaos?"

The daily briefings had become the largest point of contention, as he found more objections to the ideology of the other officers, and, in return, they struggled to accept his "radical dogma." He believed Hux viewed the Force as fictional, as his father had. The discourse was fueled by frustration on both sides. They equivocated like senators and belayed his orders in favor of their own initiatives. Every new weapon, every new destroyer was required to be more intimidating... more formidable, but at the cost of practicality. They chose complexity, size, and raw power over capability and efficiency.

"I find myself doubting the intentions of the others." They convinced him they created the Starkiller base with the purpose of controlling systems, not destroying them. But all they had done was destroy, and he didn't think they would stop with the Resistance. Starkiller was a formidable grandiosity, and all it required was a couple of explosives and an x-wing to destabilize the core. Then they had created the ability to track ships through hyperspace – no small feat – but still failed to achieve their ultimate goal of capturing the struggling fleet. "They are lost to the same obsessive, power-flaunting stagnation that plagued the Empire. It has become me against them. And they are set on their path to failure."