Inevitability

The revolving of the machine below her increased in speed until it became a blur to match the crossbars revolving around her. Rey could sense the vibrations of the electricity in the air. The heaviness from the spherical Force field around her made her lightheaded. She thought of Ben.

Is he asleep? Or is he awake and suffering out there in the snow alone? Is he dead? She couldn't decide which reality would be worse.

A massive arc of electricity sparked across the chamber below her.

If he is dead, I'll be joining him soon enough.

She screamed as she once again tried in vain to pull her legs free from their restraints. There was no escape, no hope for rescue, no way to fight. She was trapped in a death machine, her life in the hands of a madman. She attempted to find a connection to the Force, but it was still just out of reach.

The heaviness of the spherical ball of Force around felt like a weight on her chest, stealing her breath every time she breathed. Suddenly, arcs of electricity surrounded the machine. Blue arcs branched across the revolving sphere of Force and over the large Kyber crystal and pool of liquid at her feet.

This is it.

She closed her eyes and waited for the pain.

It impacted her like a speeder at full velocity. She screamed in pain as the energy burned through her. It was piercing and intense, jolting through every cell of her body. It consumed her thoughts so she could think of nothing else. All she could do was struggle against it and grasp tightly on to her own energy. Pressure mounted in her chest and her lungs quivered as breathing became impossible. She felt like she was being torn apart. The pain overwhelmed her senses and she fell into darkness.