Loneliness at the First Order

The officer was speaking to him. He couldn't remember the man's name, nor did he care. Behind the mask, Kylo could see the officer turn to him apprehensively, his body tilting away from him as if he were a rabid beast on a short chain. It was evident he expected an answer.

What are they going on about?

Was it the planets they were mining for precious resources? Unlikely. They never cared to ask his opinions on that before. Was it another Outer Rim rebellion? Improbable. He hadn't argued with Hux through holomessage over the negotiations. Another mass-murdering weapon? Doubtful. He had already ended Hux's hopes of another Starkiller. From the pinched look on Hux's face, it was something he had done... or not done... or done in a method that differed from the general's own master plan. Speaking of the general, he had turned to face him as well.

"Supreme Leader, would you care to respond?" The frustration was plainly evident underneath his saccharine tone.

Kylo stared at him in silence. He wouldn't be the one to tell Hux he wasn't listening because of his perpetual focus on life without her. It was almost laughable; he had existed his entire life without her. As it turned out, however, it was far easier to miss something when he didn't know he was missing it.

Hux's jaw clenched tightly as he prompted the Supreme Leader again. "To the concerns of lifting your sanctions on Kessel?"

"I thought I made myself clear," Kylo sighed, drumming his fingers on the table. "The First Order does not support slavery or the spice trade."

He knew there would be a considerable blow-back from his sanctions, but it was necessary. The corruption on Kessel was the reason the Republic had failed the galaxy. The Republic had allowed Wookiees and other sentients to be enslaved and used for the spice industry. Their life expectancy in the mines was an average of six months to two years for a race that lived hundreds of years. Millions suffered and died in those mines, and on other worlds throughout the galaxy, but somehow he was the monster for desiring to overthrow the Republic.

They would never have allowed those sanctions, because the politicians made their money from the spice trade. The spice trade created chaos, not order; unless the masses becoming indolent parasites incapable of demanding change or rising up against the corruption of the Republic was their definition of order. Follow the money, his mother had told him. How right she had been. If only she had realized that the Republic was not the answer to affecting change.

"With all due respect, my lord," Hux said, tugging at his collar with impatience. "Kessel is a valuable ally." Hux evidently believe Kylo would bend on the issue, which was presumptuous, considering their volatile relationship. Kylo would sign off on weapons and aggressive negotiation tactics, but not this.

"Was," Kylo corrected imperiously.

The general's face pinched in irritation. "Excuse me?"

"Was," Kylo repeated," "Kessel was a valuable ally. They will likely cease all funding following the sanctions."

"Supreme Leader, you can't –"

"I can, because I am the Supreme Leader." Growing tired of watching the red-headed man sputter in indignation, Kylo stood from the table and turned toward the door.

"Supreme Leader!" Hux shouted after him.

"Excuse me," the general said politely to the other officers in the room before Kylo heard the clacking of the man's boots as he stormed after him. "Supreme Leader!"

Kylo did his best to maintain a pace that exuded authority rather than escape. "General?"

"That is the third meeting you've walked out of in as many days! You can't – "