Chapter 28 - Starting Over

I lean over to the front seat and push The Fifty Shades Darker Soundtrack CD into the radio. I slyly bought it when I went to purchase my tenth grade Biology textbook from Sapna Bookhouse. I tremble in glee and my inner goddess dances to Crazy In Love by Beyonce'. I sit back and the first few beats of 'I don't wanna live forever' kick in. My eyes flutter close and I gently rock my head back and forth to the tune. The sun is going to start setting in an hour or so. The evening classes are always more fun. It's noisy, chaotic and no one really cares about what the hell is happening. You just feel like you're a part of everything that's happening.

"Koke koke koyaliya koke" the driver's ridiculous ringtone breaks the sweet spell.

"Appa phone" He says, passing it to me.

What now? "Hello, dad?"

"When does your practice get over?" He asks

"Um, 7:45 - 8.  It's 3 hours." I reply

"Alright, after you reach class, send the car to Just Be Cafe, ma (my grandmother) will come home, and then I'll send the car back." Papa says.

"Cool. Bye dad." He cuts the call.

I turn up the volume and 'I Need A  Good One' by The Avener fills the car. The bliss.

I spray some body mist, when we curve onto Ali Askar Road, and retrieve my precious CD. After hopping out of the car, I inform the driver where he has to go three times and climb down towards the basement. Once I slip off my black flats, I gasp when my naked soles touch the frigid floor, but a bone-rattling shiver runs down my spine only when I see him. Arjun. He's wearing a light blue Rolling Stones t-shirt and dark ripped jeans. Would you see that! Shocker Alert : He actually owns clothes that aren't white and black. My mouth drops open and fight hard to swallow. He looks....... so good. When he catches me staring at him with dilating pupils, he glares at sweet little me. Crap! I briskly make my way to the sofas and wear my shoes while making small talk with the other Malhotra in the room.

"Okay guys Cinderella Act 1 and Act 2 today. We will perfect it since Shona isn't coming today." Tanya shouts enthusiastically. Double Crap.

Oh no! If we don't do Act 3 how will I dance with him..?! :( Ouch. Wasted outfit, I reflect looking down at my self embroidered blue leotard and skirt. My day isn't going as planned. We were going to fix things today. My inner goddess starts throwing plates on the glass table. Lord. Her anger is bloody insatiable.

"Alia! Get up, come here." Sana calls. I hadn't realised everyone had taken their places. Did time just fast forward? I run and take my place as the girls give me questioning looks.

The music starts. The dances commence.

By the time we finish 5 run-throughs it's 5:15. There were a lot of mistakes and Tanya kept saying "Again! from the beginning" as if all we did is sing Ba ba black sheep. Ugh.

We take a break and very  very, very nervously I look at Arjun who's across the room. He meets my gaze instantly. Uuuh. God. As we keep looking at each other, I nod and walk out of the basement, hoping he'll follow me. Keeping my fingers crossed I go upstairs.

I hear him behind me. Yesyesyesyesyesyes!

I sit down on the antique bench. He sits down on the other side.

"Alia,"

"Arjun"

We both start together. Good god.

I put my hand up, "You first."

"No. You first." He fights back.

"Fine. I thought, we should discuss the dance. The choreography we have to plan together. The concert is in just 15 days." I say.