Chapter 52 - I don't really know a lot about love

"That was, ugh, tiring." Arjun complains after forty five minutes of mastering the ball dance routine.

"Tell me about it. We practiced for over three hours today." I slump against the dark wall and slide down to the floor.

"I feel so fucking dead. How much more do we have again?" He says sitting beside me, his head lolling from side to side.

"We completed three minutes of choreography. So two more to go. Also, we have to go lifts tomorrow, be prepared." I mumble.

"I can carry you."

"You sound way too sure of yourself." I remark.

"Because I am."

I stay silent.

"Tell me something Cinderella, do you want to go down to the pool and take a dip sometime?" He asks hitting the dust off his black jeans.

"That's not my name you annoying apparent specimen of a human." I cringe. "And no I don't want to take a dip in some strangers pool. That's sick."

"Why don't you like being called that? It has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

"Arjun, I'm so fucking exhausted, I think I'm going to faint. Please don't trouble me." I beg squeezing my temples.

"Do you have a favorite nickname?" I thought he was tired then why is he firing questions at my ass?

I ignore him.

"You're such a bore." I'm a bore?

"You're such a child." I bite back.

He falls silent and I regret arguing with him.

"Flower and baby." I say into oblivion. "Its extremely stupid I know, its just that no one ever calls me that and I like it."

"Its not stupid Alia." He looks my way.

"Whatever." I drop the subject. "Tell me about your sister."

"Well, she's a great student. Always tops her class." He begins and I immediately sense pride in his voice. "She wants to grow up to become an oncologist. Quite the nerd unlike me I'd say."

"That's fantastic. What's her inspiration?" I keep the conversation going.

"Well." He stops. "My dad. He um, he had a bout of cancer when we were very young. And, um... He drifted away from my mom after that. Things got hard for the two of us. He's still around. But you know, things aren't the same. He's not the same. All our relationships have altered. Lost somewhere, broken elsewhere. I think, she wants to save other families from the turmoil, depression and hardships we faced during that time." Arjun's sudden confession takes me by surprise.

"He's fine now?" I wonder unconsciously.

"Yeah. He is." But I don't hear an ounce of conviction.

My hand reaches for his thighs and I rub it comfortingly. "Arjun. I don't have anything to say and I don't want to say the wrong thing by mistake. But I'm here to listen to you. To be there if you need me to."

His hand covers mine. "Thank you," he says and looks away.

We sit in the corner of the huge room in our own little world away from the hurtful and piercing reality for once. Its a comforting thought. But it's a thought, and just that nonetheless.

"You said you don't believe in love. Why Arjun?" I whisper into nothingness.

He breathes deeply and though its a clear indication he doesn't want the reasons he's kept buried in his mind to resurface I prod.