Chapter 2 - Toscano

As we enter the restaurant the sweet hostess Divya smiles at us as she guides us to the second table on the left. Our usual spot . Mom gives me a questioning look, basically  her way of asking "What do you want to eat, okay the usual , but can we order something else?, never mind , all in one look." Gosh how does she do that. The waiter comes with the menus and bread basket . I request him for olive oil, balsamic, herbs and salt pepper with a glamorous smile and recite the order even before touching the menu. 1 Caprese salad no walnuts, no pesto. A portion of Aglio olio Piadina no pesto again. Penne Arrabbiata with vegetables and 1 raspberry ice tea.

As a reply he gives me a show of eyebrow raising for nearly a minute followed by "great ma'am, I will get it as its ready".

"That would be perfect" I say after concluding he's new. I mean otherwise he'd already know our order.  Facing mom now I see a beautiful face smiling to glory and set to work, making the oil and balsamic mixture.

"So what do you want to talk about" Mom begins the conversation.

"Girl stuff" I reply, continuing the discourse

"Periods!?" she asks.

"Really mom is that the only "girl" thing ?" I cringe.

"Then what?" She tests my patience.

"Forget it mother".

"Okay, okay" she raises her hands up in defence.

Picking up a slice of multigrain bread she starts again "Okay so you tell me whats the best and worst part of adolescence and maturing?"

"Hmmm nice question" I raise my eyebrows and marvel at her thinking for once.

" Fine so lets say best and worst part physically and mentally, cool?" I reply soaking my bread in oil.

"Shoot". She agrees is buttering her slice of toast.

"So mentally the worst part is obviously the countless mood swings, and anger rushes , losing control of myself at times, especially my tongue while speaking to the grandmother. The best part would be having a better grasp over relationships and being able to think more like an adult."

   "Hmm".

"And the worst aspect physically would be" I quickly continue not wanting to lose my chain of  thought, " The underarm pimples and sweat and I'm so conscious of my big butt! While the best part", I shyly look away and slowly and quietly finish, "Feeling things I've never felt before with such intensity, like the spiralling up of "things" in my stomach and a heavy pull of weight below it you know when certain thoughts cross your mind and while reading stuff obviously". I can feel my face turning red... dgashszkjchsousoihhc.. ugh

Mom stares with her eyes wide open and silently giggles.

Well, what can I say? I wasn't expecting that as her way of replying.

I dig into the focaccia and sigh to myself. Fucking delicious. And between sips of the best ice tea ever I think of a question to ask her.

  "Mom, tell me a secret you've never told anyone" I buzz coming up with one.

" Alia if I told someone then it wouldn't be a secret and if I never told anyone then its for a reason". She responds with the MOM look and with her mouth almost full.

"I know, but if you tell me a secret then I will tell you one of my secrets as well". This bargain will definitely make her tell me something I think to myself...

  "Hmmm okay, so the first one to feed you when you came into this world was your dad.. "

Wait what? Weird. " Uncool and how is that a secret?" I ask in bewilderment

"Even though I am your mom, your dad was the first one to feed you!"

   I feel miserable for asking her that because I  was expecting something more juicy, mom hardly gives away much! I always tell her exciting stuff.

   "Now your turn, miss" she asks taking a sip of my ice tea.

"Ummm, I have read the Fifty Shades of Grey series I guess? When we were in Bali" I reply with my eyes screwed shut. Though I'm unsure why. My parents are quite chill , I can always speak to my mom about everything. Always.

   When I do open my eyes I see her pathetically failing at trying to pull a stern face at me ... My mom is too cute!

   "What else are you doing behind my back you naughty girl?"

"Everything". I reply feigning haughtiness with an eye roll and we both find ourselves flooding into peels of laughter scaring the poor waiter who brings our pasta.

    The rest of our meal completes in silence and I occasionally look around to see the manager shouting at a waiter for being slow or watching the foreigners clinking chalices of wine and young boys having ice cream along the fountain across , on the whole the brilliant feeling of being by yourself and enjoying every single bit of it.

     Zizu gets a call from Anisha, the restaurant event head and gives me a, "Can I please take it? It's urgent look" and I nod with a smile.