Chapter 9 - Anticipating

The drive from home to Anya Varma's house, the practice rehearsal space, is 35 minutes and I restlessly listen to the radio. I'm wearing a short sleeves black leotard with lace work at the back, black woollen stockings and wrap around skirt. It makes me look determined and dance-nerdy? And it fits snuggly hugging my few curves. The inexistent ones? My inner goddess pipes in like a bitch.

As the car zooms past Sankey Tank I recall moments from last year's program practices. I was Arora in The Sleeping Beauty. Prince Philip then was a boy named Nick Rozario. Long faced fair boy, okayish at his role. Zero expressions, and the worst part - how can a 13 year old wear half sleeved SHIRTS AND KHAKI CUTOFFS??????!!! Yikes. His sister Shana was a very hot girl, very flexible but alas she left ballet and so did he.

Anyways, coming back to this moment. I've mentally prepared myself. Honestly, nothing can go wrong. So I needn't dread this thing like some big ass ordeal. It's just a dance.

The car takes a right into Ali Askar Road and I spontaneously brush out my ponytail and spray some perfume all over. I peep out if the window to see if Sana's car (Sana Malhotra, my cousin sister (Only female cousin of my age in Bangalore)  has come.

It has. Our car halts opposite Varma mansion and I hop out. After letting the driver know that I'll be done by 11:30 I grab my black Victoria's Secret bag and walk down a small flight of granite steps surrounded my medium sized freshly watered plants. It always smells like rainy season here and I love it. The house is on the left and I hear voices from the kitchen which is in the corner. I descend another flight and then turn left into a huge basement.

Past the abnormally huge glass and antique wood carved doors is a roughly 2000 square foot room with red tiles and beige walls. There are lots of chairs and sofas with coloured upholstery for the girls to lounge on. I choose the one next to Sana. Obviously.

"Hi " I smile at her

"Hi " She returns warmly

"So only our batch huh?" I muse

"Yes! Prince is coming right?" She smirks with a small sweet smile that only Sana Malhotra can crack.

I ignore the rising feeling of bursting excitement, weirdness and anxiety the best I can and pretend like her words had no effect on me. I slip on my black ballerina flats and ask "warm up?"

"Sure" she replies and get up

After the breathing exercises. I playfully sashay along that damn red floor ( I don't know what it is about that! ) towards the pool table whose edge we use as a makeshift bar.

Halfway through the plie'-releve' exercises the seniors walk in, and give the girls relaxing on the sofas a killer look. They immediately lift their asses and start stretching. I hope Miss Shona is in a good mood. The program month is really stressful and Shona goes into dragon mode ( like she puts it). Sometimes the younger ones pee in their cute stockings because she is so scary.. But she's one of  the most kindest, strongest, understanding, supporting, humane and fun people I've ever known. Shes not only been my ballet teacher from 12 years but so much more. It's wonderful.

Sana and I start discussing the Cinderella and Fairy Godmother ( Sana)  dances and revise the dialogues in actions while doing develope' and grande battment'

At around 10:15 the seniors start the pointe warm up and I tie up my shoes too and join them. I glow with pride Everytime I remember how I got double promoted into senior level and aced the pointe test with flying colors and bought my shoes. I'm the only one who got it from my batch.

After 32 releves', eleves', forced arched presses, ankle rotations, point and flex and 8 count balances 2 times in 10 positions I'm physically warmed up and mentally prepared to face everything.

I decide to catch up with my classmates and socialize for a bit and sit down on the floor joining them.

Maya starts as soon as I sit, " So Alia, did you get a wax yesterday and dress extra carefully today because the prince is coming?"

All of them start giggling and I join them, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. This is affecting meeeeeeeeeeee.

"No. Not at all." I laugh it off. My inner goddess isn't pleased one tiny bit.

"So what shoes will you wear?" Penelope pipes in.

"My slippers in the beginning and after the transformation probably my pointes? Maybe with glitter or sequins.. God knows!"

" Oh my God! Oh my Gooood!!!" Carina squeals, making us all jump with fright, " Miss Shona is coming... With a boy!"

And with that, all the colour drains from my visage and my heart start thudding fucking wildly in my chest. Oh no.