Chapter 31 - My Besties

I smile the way home. Smile thinking about how I embarrassed myself again, thinking about his laugh, boyish and adorable, silently wishing I could hear it everyday, thinking about the things we spoke about. I'm a tad bit dazed. Or perhaps more than just a bit.

Mom and dad give me an earful for 'not knowing what time the class ends'. Like really? But I quietly hear them out and eat dinner. I play 'Night Changes' on my Amazon Echo Spot for certain obvious reasons. While cleaning my room and laying the bed, I think about Arjun.

Here's the thing. I can read faces. It's something I believe I get from my grandmother, who can predict future and read people's faces too. Sounds crazy. It isn't really. When I see someone's face and focus on their eyes. Their eyes talk to me. They speak to me and when I put it in words, its them. Long complex story short and simple, when I try to concentrate and look into his pretty brown eyes, I'll know things about him, I couldn't possibly know.

But then do I really want that? No. right? Because it should be about getting to know him, not jumping to assumptous and judgemental conclusions. I shake my head out and sit down on the bed. Today was special. The 3rd of December.

I feel so many things right now. So many questions popping uo. Dear lord. I let out a loud breathy giggle and fall back, my head landing amidst 8 soft pillows (I have a Pillow obsession). I close my eyes and breathe. There is a lot of time for all the answers to my questions my subconscious points out. Right now, I need to shower and prepare for tomorrow.

I open my first cupboard and take out a white thin, loose ZARA knit sweater, black slacks and underwear for tomorrow fold it in a pile on my dressing table. From another drawer I grab my ballet clothes and put it another bag. I switch on the AC, light an unscented candle, switch off the lights and go the bathroom with my night suit.

I take a shower, distractedly and get dressed. I look at my reflection in the fogged mirror. Flushed with a sheen of mist clinging to my face. Do I look different?

Cringing at my inconceivably absurd thoughts I hastily get out of the steamy room and hit the bed. I hug my pillow tighter then usual that night.

At 8am Alexa wakes me up to Carolina by Harry Styles. It starts my day on a chirpy note. I change my clothes, brush my teeth and fix my hair into a ponytail. I'm dancing with excitement, because today - I'M MEETING MY BEST FRIENDS!!!!!!!

I eat a sandwich and dry fruits in the car. We make a quick stop at the tailor's and give the maid costume for stitching. The lower umbrella skirt is a light sea green colour, the elastic top is brown. On the skirt an additional floral white fabric acts like an apron and a thick orange satin ribbon runs along the waist. I honestly love it. It's not insanely mis-matched, but just perfect.

At around 9 I reach Noor's place and pick her up. After that, we toss our brains out of the car. Noor is like the most comical person I know and spending time with her can either turn into a fucking disaster because we literally become mad or into a glorious best friend memory where we talk about our deepest feelings.

Noor's wearing jeans and a black shirt. She can wear jeans when she sleeps. Tara and I not so much. She looks great. Almost immediately she starts bombarding me with questions about Arjun. Ugh. I mean she's literally the only person I can talk to about him so I begin rambling. I can feel my face turning all pink and she keeps laughing, smiling and saying Oh My God every now and then. When I tell her how I spilt the coffee she howls with laughter. My driver looks at us from the rearview mirror, petrified. We gave the poor man cold feet.

We move on to Noor's babies/husbands/life BTS. During the summer after 7th grade, she discovered this Korean band and fell in love with the music and the band members. She tells me what their present hair colour is and when their next come back is. When we're about ten minutes away from Tara's house, Tara calls Noor on her phone. Before picking up the call, we decide to prank her.

"Hi Tara, this Alia bitch is late, she said she'll reach my house in twenty minutes. I'm almost ready, so we'll reach your house only after 10." Noor complains. And puts the phone on speaker. I'm on the verge of bursting into laughter.

"Oh My God. She is so bad, she told me she's going to be early, so I woke up 4 hours early and cleaned my whole house. She's such a clean freak bitch, if she sees anything messed up she starts cleaning it instantly and then my moms shouts at me. But anyway! I'm so excited!!!" My mouth falls open when I hear this. I am so notttt. Noor starts laughing at my frown face. Tara is so dead.

"Yeah. Anyways, I'll see you in a bit. Bye!" Noor says.

"Bye bitch." Tara has a foul mouth compared to the three of us. But honestly, it's cute. It makes her Tara.

Noor lives in a cute apartment with her brother and parents whereas Tara stays in a bungalow with her seventeen member family in Koromangla. All our family members are super close and informal. Both of us gossip about girly stuff and I tell her that my cousins will be joining me when I go to Bikaner.

When the three of us were in 7th grade, we promised to go on a best friend trip to Pondicherry for a week, in my yellow VW Beetle playing the fifty shades soundtrack from my red iPod.  Every time we meet, I remember that, and I can't fucking wait. Just the thought of drowning in happy moments which involve the beach, Tanto's Pizzeria, The Matri Mandir,  The Deun Resort and a small cozy BnB makes me ecstatic and dreamy. And lots of dancing and drinking, obviously.

We reach Tara's home in five minutes and ring the bell. Her very very very very naughty but extremely freaking adorable brother opens the door. Lets say, he doesn't welcome us very warmly, but runs away instead. Cutie. The two of us make our way upstairs and meet her mom in the hall. As we speak to her, Tara comes out of her room and screams loudly. "Oh my god! You lied to me! You came!!!!" And with that, she hugs us tightly. All of us giggle and smile brightly, holding onto each other in an embrace.

I love them so much. My favourite girls in the world.

********

Vote!
Comment!