Chapter 33 - Finalising Dances & Costumes

When I reach Varma Mansion I can hear the blaring music from the basement. Today we're working on all the non ballet numbers and it's going to be a long practice. Everything is chaotic and all the girls have thrill plastered across their visages. It's one of those days when Shona isn't angry at all. As much as she loves ballet, she really enjoys choreographing and working on jazz dances.

Sana and I are in three, whereas the others are mostly in two. One main batch dance to Kiss and Makeup and Come on back. The other one is a dance with the junior batches and boys to Counting Stars by One Republic. And the last one is a salsa item with the senior batch.

When I enter the room, I see that two batches are practicing side by side in the large space. On the other side near the chairs, the tailors and Shona are taking measurements for the costumes and a long line of exciting girls are standing there. Phew! Batch 1, the senior most ones are doing a contemporary act and I think they're rehearsing inside. Had I not been a student, I'd assume a party is going on... Or a clusterfuck.

My eyes scan the room, searching my sister. Where is she?

"Looking for me?" I hear a voice from behind. Sana Malhotra.

"Hey! Yes actually. This place looks crazy. Sorry I'm late today. What's going on?" I ask putting on my shoes.

"You're an hour late." She snorts.

"Yeah yeah. I told Shona." I assure her.

"Okay, so you should give your measurements. We're starting Counting Stars today. Shona plans to finish half the dance and fix the places today." Sana brings me up to date.

"Sounds good. What about Kiss and Makeup? Did you'll start learning the choreography from the video?" I question, dreading the answer.

She shakes her head. We're screwed. Big time.

"Why the hell not?" I cry out, my hands immediately hitting my head and gripping my hair. "The show is in 2 weeks. Does no one give a shit or what?"

"If you're not going to be there, no one will even move." She says matter-of-factly.

"And why is that?" I ask with raised brows.

"Their scared of you!" Sana laughs.

"Shut up." I giggle. "What in Austen's name have I done to make them scared of me? I'm like the smallest sized human in the bloody room. You know Manya from batch 8 who is 9 years old is taller than me. Like what the hell!" I say annoyed.

"You're scary when you get serious about something Alia." She tells me rubbing my shoulder.

"Am not." I fight folding my elbows.

She smiles and lets the matter go. Classic Sana.

"Okay whatever, maybe." I whisper with a  shy smile.

"So what do we do now?" She gestures to our batch girls who're warming the couches.

"I don't -" I begin

"Hey Alia, I didn't know you were coming." Arjun suddenly appears and asks. He's holding his iPad in his hand and the wire of the connected earplugs hang down. The first thing I notice is that he's not wearing a blue t-shirt. Or any other colour for that matter. Just white.

"Oh um. Hey. Sorry I came late." I say, tucking a strand of loose hair behind my ear.

"Can we talk about the dance?" He asks, then looking at Sana says, "I don't mean to interrupt."