CHAPTER 62

"I can drop you off?" Zac offers Gwyneth.

"Sure, you can." I murmur under my breath and roll my eyes.

"Stop doing that!" Zac pinches and twists the skin of my side through the jumpsuit making me yelp.

"Stop acting like there's nothing wrong." I snap and push his hand away.

...

"Why didn't you tell me about your job?" I ask Zac, as I sit in his car.

"It's just during Ramadan. I'm starting my six months course right after at Skilston, the institute of cullinary arts, Hyderabad."

"Oh. That's great!" I force a smile, hiding the little disappointment about knowing he'll be shifting out there in most probably a month.

"You're going to Hyderabad?" I ask, surprise clear in my voice.

"Yeah, but it's not that far away from Karachi. One forty one kilometers. Eighty something miles? Eight nine miles, yeah. A nearly three hour drive."

"Where are you going to stay at?"

"My dad's sister's."

The scenario of last Sunday plays in my head and anger and pain takes over within. The way she made him smile and giggle by whatever she whispered to him during Mass, the way his hand was on the small of her back as he led her to the group, our group. He looked me straight in the eye then looked away at her, his hands around her shoulders. They all joked and laughed without noticing my presence. It was like an OT6.

"Oh. So what was it that you told Gwyneth? She was saying that 'you told her that' but you cut her off before she could finish."

"It was nothing." I can make out he's lying. He must have told her about our space shit.

"Tell me!" I demand, infuriation building up.

He doesn't answer so I move my hand to the door handle of the car.

"You're telling me or I'll get down from this moving car!"

"Go ahead."

What?

As soon as I opened the door, he shuts it back.

"Fuck fine! You're stubborn. I didn't know you would actually do that."

"You know me." I say, rolling my eyes for the thousandth time already.

"I didn't tell her I have a girlfriend. I don't even know what she was doing at my place."

"What? Why? That's why your face fell when you saw her, you were shocked that she met me because you didn't want her to know who I was to you."

"We were doing space so I didn't-"

"So you didn't, thinking you could enlighten your history with her."

"What history? No! I didn't find it necessary for her know. You know I don't share my personal life with anyone. Even if I told her a tiny bit, she being the annoying her, would go on questioning about us."

"Sure. Yeah, whatever." I childishly remark.

"My past is my past, okay? The history I had with her was nothing else but fucking. You're the girl I love."

The first part of his words rends my heart that the second part has no consoling effect. "So I was right, you'll had a history. So what if you love me, you could still keep fucking her while we're on space that's why you didn't consider telling her about me at all."

He remains quiet.

So the silence is the assurance that whatever I said is right.

"So you must have enjoyed this past week of space with her?"