twenty-three

It's Friday, and today is the day that we're suppose to present our projects in history. I was sitting in the class hurrying to get the last two slides that we didn't do.

I know that Mr. Shapiro was watching me do it because i gave him eye contact and he shrugged it off.

I got up to go ask him a question before the bell rang when i heard Devi and Ben talking about a party.

"Mercedes go to Ben's party." I raised an eyebrow because i know that Ben hates parties and has never cared for them.

I looked a the date and saw that it was in fact his birthday which still surprised me on how he was still having a party.

"Happy Birthday Ben." He nodded his head at me and i went to talk to the teacher.

"Hey."

"Hi Mercedes."

"So i'm wondering if maybe."

"Yes, i can move your guys presentation towards the end." I smiled at him and walked back to the seat.

"Ben's having a party." I told Paxton, and Trent.

"We're going right?" Trent asked Paxton, and Paxton looked at me.

"Why is it on me?"

"Are you going?" Trent asked

"I can? Why does it matter?"

"You're the life of the party, everyone gets excited when you show up. Like your presence brings the party together." I shrugged my shoulders.

"I guess. I mean it is Ben, i feel like i kind of have to go."

"Then it's settled, we're going to the party."

We all sat there re reading the presentation, and getting prepared for it, which it didn't take long until the end of these people's presentation.

Ours went better than expected, despite the fact that Paxton kept smiling at me in front of the class every time i spoke.

-

At the end of the school day Paxton waited for the hallways to clear and went to my locker.

"Am i picking you up for the party?" Paxton asked me as i started to put the stuff i didn't need into my locker.

"You can, but offer to give Trent a ride too, so if Devi ask i can say we all planned on going as a group." He nodded, and sighed.

"I wish we could go just us and make an entrance or something."

"I know hun." I closed my locker to see him still standing there waiting for me. "Don't you have swim practice?"

"I do, but i want a kiss."

"Paxton were at school."

"No one is here, now cmon i'll be late if you don't give me one." I sighed and giggled while walking up to him and giving him a kiss. "I'll pick you up first then i'll get Trent."

-

I arrived home from school and went to my room to look at what i should wear for this party. I loved the last outfit i had but i need something different for sure.

I threw on a semi see through cheetah long sleeve with a leather mini skirt that has a slit on the side.

I sat in my bed and scrolled through instagram, and tik tok for a few hours, before i realized that it was already 6, and Devi had texted me a few times, but i didn't answer.

Devi
Are you going to the party?

Mercedes
Yeah, but Trent and Paxton agreed that we all go to the party together in History today.

Devi
Oh.

Mercedes
Yeah, did you need a ride?

Devi
Yeah, i'll ask my sister though.

Mercedes
Okay.

I sat up and got dressed in my bathroom, while doing my makeup, which again, wasn't much, but it was something, i curled my hair a little bit and just brushed it out so it had a nicer wavy affect to it.

"Mercedes. I think Paxton is here." I heard my mom yelled from downstairs

I ran down stairs and grabbed my shoes while running out of the door, no i didn't put my shoes on.

"Here sit here while i put these on."

"I'm not rushing you. Why didn't you put them on inside."

"It's my excuse to see you for like two minutes longer." He laughed and looked at me up and down.

"You look really good."

"Thank you." I leaned over the middle and placed a kiss on his lips.

"Let's go, Devi could always be watching us from her room." He nodded and drove away.

"So, Trent said he's going to drive there by himself, so you and i are just going to show up together." Paxton said as we turned off of my road.

"Paxton!"

"I know. Don't yell at me." He said while giving me puppy eyes.

"I'm sorry. You know, i don't even need to explain it." I sighed and he put his hand on my thigh while squeezing it.

"It's going to be okay. I promise."

-

We pulled into Ben's driveway. I knew that his house was big but i didn't know that his house was HUGE.

I could hear the bass of the music hitting the car. I pulled the mirror down in Paxton's car and was looking at myself in it. I had to make sure i looked good.

"You look amazing, my little cherry. C'mon." He got out of the car and closed the door behind him, and i followed.

I was walking behind him as he walked to the door, and everyone looked at him as he walked in, and then their eyes went right to me.

Peoples faces were shocked, and surprised, which freaked me out because i don't know if they were good reactions or if they're thinking i'm with Paxton.

I saw Fabiola and Eleanor, so i walked over to them and smiled.

"Where's Devi?" I asked them and they shrugged their shoulders.

"She was wandering around looking for Paxton last time i knew." Eleanor said, and handed me a drink. "The drinks here are actually good."

I took a sip of me and it felt it burn down my throat, but it actually tasted decent. "It does." I smiled at her. "Thank you. You guys look good by the way."

I looked around to look for Devi, but i still couldn't find her, but i did find Ben who started walking over to me.

"Hi Ben. How does it feel to be 16." He smiled at me and laughed.

"It's nice. I know we haven't had much of a conversation since you moved here, so how have you and your mom been. My mom wants to have dinner with you guys, if she comes back."

"Ive been good, but let's not talk about me. It's your day." I handed him a card that i had gotten him, it had a $20 bill in it.

"Thank you. You didn't have to give me this."

"No, it's nothing. You know it's nothing." He smiled at me and hugged me.

As he hugged me i had closed my eyes and slowly opened them to see Devi and Paxton talking.

Ben has pulled away from me and i swallowed while still looking at them.

Next thing you know i see Devi take Paxton's hand and pull him out to the dance floor.