sixty-four

Paxton's POV

"How are you feeling?" Zoe asked me. She went home with me, but we didn't do anything except for sit on the couch. We barely spoke.

"I just want to talk to her." As i thought life was getting a little better from her, i definitely had to run back into her.

"How long was the movie?"

"Around an hour and a half i wanna say."

"It's going to sound creepy, but do you wanna go back and follow them home? So i mean if you want to talk to her you'll know where she lives?"

I stood up quickly, and grabbed my sweatshirt from off of my bed and threw it on while heading to the door. "Let's go. We're taking your car."

"Are you driving?"

"Can i?"

"Mhm."

"Okay, take one of my black hoodies, i don't want people to see us."

-

At the movie theaters it was a big window in the front of the theater so we were able to tell when the movie for Mercedes and Beto was over.

We sat there for 15 minutes before Zoe had noticed a bug crowd of people walking out, and Mercedes and Beto were at the end of the crowd.

We had the ready to start following them, but they were talking and taking their time in the movies so we had to be patient.

They eventually left the theater and i watched Beto and Mercedes walk over to a car who i had assumed to be Beto's well i knew because i saw the car on the night of homecoming.

I had let a few cars go on front of me so they didn't notice the same car going the same way as them. Zoe was keeping her eye on them so we didn't loose them as well.

As driving went on, it took us about 15 minutes until i saw his car pull up in a fancy apartment building. Well not like super fancy, but fancy enough.

"Why is she all the way over here, it's almost another town over from the school."

"I think that's the whole point Paxton." We sat in the car and waited for them to go inside. "You wanna get something to eat over here and come back and try to talk to her?"

"Yeah."

-

We went and drove around for a little bit and ate at a Taco Bell that wasn't very far from the apartment that Beto and Mercedes lived in.

"Paxton." Zoe has spoken as we went to throw our stuff away. "If you and Mercedes were to get back together. Do yo-"

"Woah. Zoe i don't even know if we will. I want to, she probably won't. I don't want to get my hopes up."

"Okay, but. If it were to happen. You and i wouldn't be friends anymore would we?"

"I don't know. I don't want to think about it much to be honest."

"I understand. Do you want to go back to her apartment?"

I sighed and opened the door as Zoe walked out. I was looking at the floor and started to play with the strings on my hoodie.

"Yes. I'm ready to go over there."

-

After we had driven to the apartments, Zoe had parked the car in a spot near the entrance of the building.

"Do you want me to go in with you, or are you okay by yourself." I sighed and opened the door to the car.

"I'm sure i'll be fine. Do you think they'll give me the apartment number." She nodded.

"Just day the guys name, and they should give you the number. You better hope they don't call him though." She laughed and i chuckled.

"Okay. I'm going."

I went over to the glasses door leading to the lobby, and i saw a women who looked to be half way asleep behind the counter. I walked up to it and she barely noticed me.

"Oh. I'm sorry." She walked up to the counter and sat in the chair. "Who are you looking for?"

"This girl. She lives with a guy named Beto. I'm not sure what his last name is, but i know his full first name is Roberto."

"Ah. Roberto Perez?"

"Yes."

"He's in room 502 on the top floor."

"Okay. Thank you."

I went to the elevator next to the counter and pressed the 5th floor, which was obviously the top. I was waiting for the elevator and after the door opened i noticed the apartments were pretty big, because the doors were spread out."

501, 503. That was it for the left side of the hallway, so i turned on the other side and saw 504, then i looked to the right of it and found 502.

I sighed and i had my hand up and ready to knock but my body froze for a few minutes, and i couldn't make myself knock.

Eventually i forced myself to do, and i instantly regretted it. I saw the knob turn on the door and i saw two shocked faces.

Mercedes was in an outfit, a Mercedes outfit, comfortable but stylish, while Beto was in sweatpants. I looked over there shoulder to see another guy, but he obviously didn't matter to me.

"Can we talk?" I spoke up after a few minutes of silence.

"Mercedes." Beto has nudged her a little bit making her jump back into reality.

"Oh sorry."

"Can we talk?"

"How did you find my room?" Mercedes asked without even thinking of my question.

"I asked the lady at the counter."

"Paxton." She sighed and cringed when she said my name. "I cant."

"Mercedes wh-"

"I cant. I don't wanna hear it."

"Paxton." She looked up and looked at me in the eye. "I don't know what you did. Whether you cheated or you didn't. I don't want to hear it. I'm not ready."

"Cherry i-"

"Don't call me Cherry." She tensed up. "One day i'll give you a chance to explain. Today isn't the day. I just ran back into you after i thought you were out of my life, and now you're back."

"Mercedes i just want to right now. I've been moping around every day since that. I have very few days where i got around and did stuff with my friends, but when i did they knew i wasn't the same."

"I'm sorry. I can't. I need you to leave." She said politely to me.

"I needs closure. I cant walk away without telling you what really happen."

"Closure?"

"Yes."

"How can i know you're not lying when you hang out with the girl who ruined our relationship."