fourty-nine

Mercedes's POV

Paxton
Want me to pick you up this morning?

Mercedes
Sure

It was Monday. Paxton and I didn't spend that Sunday together. It felt nice, but of course i missed him.

I was getting ready for school, but not caring about my appearance showed up in my mind so i just threw sweats on.

I heard a honk outside and i assumed it was Paxton. Which it was. I went downstairs and threw my shoes on, and grabbed my bookbag before going outside and getting into his car.

"I missed you." Paxton leaned over and kissed me on the lips.

We drove off to school, and when Paxton parked Trent came up to his car and knocked on the window.

"Hey Trent." Paxton greeted him as he rolled his window down.

"What do you think about having an after party of homecoming this Friday?" Paxton looked at me.

"I think that should be fine. Would you want to go?"

"That sounds fine. Is everyone invited?" I ask Trent and he nodded.

"I guess the Devi girl can come." I nodded.

"Oh. Mercedes." He looked at Trent. "Can you give us a moment?" He asked Trent and he nodded.

"I'll see you guys in class."

"Please don't yell at me." Paxton said while rolling the window up.

"What did you do?"

"So yesterday. I needed someone to talk to. You know how you're so desperate to talk to someone that you just talk to whoever?"

"Yeah. What about it?"

"Devi offered to talk to me yesterday."

"Paxton you didn-"

"No. Just listen." He sighed and grabbed my hand. "I told her my side. I never said anything bad about you. I would never say anything bad about you."

"Paxton, that's not the point. Did you do anything with her." He paused and didn't say anything.

We heard the first bell ring and i got out of the car, and he did too. "I'll explain during lunch. I'll sit with you. Just you and me. Not my boys. Not your girls. We can talk everything through, and i'll tell you everything seriously."

"Mhm."

-

Lunch quickly rolled around. I wasn't looking forward to what Paxton had to say. A bunch of possibilities were running through my mind.

Could he have slept with her? Is the one going through my mind the most. Surely he wouldn't tell me if they did. Why would he if he did? He just told me he loved me last night.

I was thinking that i was overthinking about everything. I was zoning out in class and almost just thought about texting my mom and tell her i didn't feel good once again. But i didn't.

I was at my locker putting the stuff i didn't need in there like i always do before lunch. Fabiola and Eleanor came over to me, as i closed my locker and was getting ready to head to the lunch room.

"Devi said she hung out with last night." Eleanor said.

"Paxton told me."

"He did?"

"Yeah he did. Why?"

"Oh. No reason." I raised an eyebrow at them.

"Um. Also. Today i won't be sitting with you guys. Paxton wants him and I to sit alone. So we could talk." They nodded but walked with me anyway. Once we got there they headed to there table and I waited for Paxton to get his lunch.

"Are you going to eat?" I sat there crossing my arms with an awkward face and stared at him as he walked up to me.

"No. I'm not hungry." I swallowed and i followed him to a seat off to the side from everyone else outside. "So. Are you going to tell me what happened."

"Nothing happened like what you're talking about." He sighed. "At least i didn't do anything."

"What do you mean."

"All of the details?"

"No shit. Better be true too." I sassed.

"I was talking. Devi came to sit by me. I was shooting away from her, but she was scoring closer, i eventually scooted and she stopped but did it again. I told her no. She told me you didn't have to know."

"Are you tell me you followed through?"

"Cherry no."

"Please don't call me cherry during this Paxton." He looked away hurt, and grabbed my waist and pulled me closer to him, then started to rub my shoulder.

"She put herself on to me. I didn't give in. I would never give in Mercedes. I told her to call someone else and find a ride home. I even went to the park instead of my house because i didn't want her there. I would never cheat on you Mercedes."

I looked at him and had a tear going down my face. I had no reason why. Maybe the fact that i had someone so trustworthy that it made me emotional?

"Stop it. Cherry." He wiped the tear away and i looked around to see if anyone was watching. It was only Paxton's buddies who were watching though. "Are you emotional because you're on your period?"

"I'm not on my period you asshole." I laughed.

"No need to call me an asshole."

"I'm kidding hunny." I looked up to see one of Paxton's friends coming over to us. It wasn't Trent. I didn't even know who his name was actually, i just knew him and Paxton hung out in the same friend group.

He looked nervous coming up to us and Paxton was confused as he did it. The kid was tan but he had a lighter brown hair color with some vibrant green eyes. He was cute but he didn't intrigue me, only his eyes.

He sat down with us and i looked at Paxton confused because he didn't say anything. Paxton pulled me closer to him, as if i wasn't already close to him.

Paxton had a slight annoyed face on. I didn't know why but he didn't act on his feelings at the moment. "What are you doing James?"

James, i think, has shrugged his shoulders and ran his eyes up and down me. To be fair i wasn't in anything that got people going crazy, but i still felt uncomfortable at the moment.

"James." Paxton has said in a stern voice and scoffed after he didn't look at him. "James what the fuck." Paxton has then brought his arm up and leaned over the table and roughly pushed James's shoulder.

"Oh. I'm just admiring Mercedes's curves. It's hard not to, considering she's the hottest girl in the school right now"