sixty-two

Paxton POV

I was sitting in my last hour class, pretty much waiting for the day to just fly away. Nothing has changed since Mercedes disappeared that day with Beto.

I've pretty much have been mopping around for almost a year since that situation. I wish i would've had a chance to explain myself, but i can see where she was coming from.

I also should've told her what Aiden had told me that night, maybe it would've prevented all of this stuff.

My messaged were still in the chat on my phone, but the only thing i got an answer from was someone telling me i had the wrong number.

I've found nothing on her and i haven't heard anything about her. She deleted all sort of social media that people from my school had, and never went back to school.

To this day of my senior year i wish she could come back every day. Every day i look in the junior hallway hoping to see her face at her locker or something, but i don't.

"Paxton." My teacher had called my name snapping me out of reality and gave me a glare. "What's the moral of the story."

The teacher is funny if she think i even know what story we are talking about, all i know is that it is a short story and knew nothing else.

I looked down at my paper and looked at the name of the story. The Necklace. I sighed, this teacher was new and she obviously didn't know that we read this our freshman year.

"I don't know. Something along the lines of be satisfied with what you have?"

"I see where you're coming from."

"It is the moral."

"Why do you say that?"

"The main character has borrowed a necklace from her friends. The mc then thought it was a really expensive necklace. She then went to the ball and lost the necklace, afterwards she had to fight and spend all of her money she had once to buy a new necklace for her friend. Then finding out that the necklace was fake. In the end she was finically broke, after realizing the necklace was fake. She wasn't okay with what she had, then lost everything, and has to fight every day of her life to make up all of the money she once lost."

The class went silent. I'm sure they were pretty surprised at what just happened. I never really spoke up and when i did i was never this right.

"Paxton."

"Yes?"

"That was beautiful. You said exactly what i wanted you to say."

The bell then rang and i pulled my phone out to check if anyone had messaged me, and sure someone did.

Zoe
Hey. Do you want to go see the new Annabelle movie tonight?

Paxton
Hmmm. Sure, that doesn't sound to bad.

Zoe
Kk, i'll see you tonight. We're going to go to the 5:00 one.

I put my phone away and headed to my car. I had been wanting to see the new movie for a while, and i guess going with Zoe wouldn't be a horrible idea.

-

"Are you excited for this movie?" Zoe has asked as i got into her car.

"I mean yeah." I never really had mad feelings for Zoe, she was kind of just one of those girls to distract me from everything, which sounds bad but it took me forever to move on, kinda.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I was staring off into space when Zoe has snapped me out of it.

"Talk about?"

"Her."

I haven't talked about Mercedes in forever. I think i only have told one person about all of my feelings and that was Trent. My mind just tells me to push the subject out of the way and then it won't be a problem.

I sighed and looked out the window. Despite how shitty Zoe has been to me she was kind of one of the only people i feel like i could talk to. I also feel like she's matured since that day.

"I'm sorry about that day. I didn't realize how important she was to you until everyone walked out of the house and saw you laying in the grass bawling your eyes out."

"Please don't talk about it."

"Oh, i'm sorry."

She also never tried getting with me after the day, so you know she had realized something after it. I had to forgive her partly, but i couldn't fully, and she understood that.

"Have i changed?"

Trent has mentioned to me that i'm not the fun Paxton i use to be. He said i'm fine and i have really good times but i also have random moments where my brain just takes over my body and i get lost in thoughts.

"Not much Paxton. You're better now. I just can't believe you still think about her til this day."

"Of course. I do. It's not as strong as it was, but i do."

We had finally arrived at the movies. I didn't get any popcorn, but Zoe has bought herself a small popcorn, and a drink.

Then we headed into the room because we were the first group of people to get the room so we didn't have to wait on them

-

"Did you like the movie?" Zoe asked me as the credits popped up.

"Yeah, i did. Thank you for taking me."

"No problem. You don't need to thank me." I grinned at her and we were gathering our stuff and waiting for the majority of the people to leave before we decided to leave.

We had walked out Zoe had thrown her stuff away in the closest trash can and we stopped off to the side so we didn't get caught in the crowd.

"I would actually watch that multiple times if i could."

"Yes, me too." I chuckled and Zoe was looking behind me and her laugh went to a frown.

"What is it?" I went to turn around but Zoe had grabbed my forearm and pulled me up. "Can i not looking behind me? We have to leave anyway."

"I know but you probably shouldn't turn around."

"So do you want me to walk backwards?"

"That would benefit you."

"Cmon." I motioned her and she got onto the right side of me trying to distract me, until she tripped over her ankle slightly and fell to the floor.

That's when i saw Mercedes. Beautiful Mercedes. Her hair was dyed darker now, and it suit her really well. I looked to the right of her and saw Beto next to her holding her side then he kissed her.

"Are you okay?" I grabbed Zoe's hand to help her stand up and the ticket guy started to let people head in so Beto and Mercedes had walked past us

"I'm fine, but are you okay?"

"Did she see me?"

"She did."

"Why didn't she say hi?"

"Paxton." She grabbed my shoulder and hugged me. I sighed and looked too the floor.

Once again she just vanishes, and now i probably won't ever see her again.