sixty-five

Mercedes POV

The feeling of Paxton standing right in front of me this very second was making me overwhelmed. My mind kept on going off onto the times him and i add then going onto the time i saw him and Zoe.

As much as i pushes away me seeing him at the movies my heart broke into millions of pieces when i saw Zoe with him. She broke our relationship, and now he's hanging out with her. It just doesn't make sense to me.

"Mercedes. Zoe and I we aren't anything. She's just my friend, i swear."

"Doesn't matter. Just please leave."

"You're dating your ex who picked you up from the party, that does make sense to me either?" My mouth dropped and Paxton backed away when he said that.

"Seriously? Are you fucking kidding me Paxton?" Paxton looked down as i snapped at him. "I sat here for fucking months trying to get over you. Beto let me live here and has treated me so well. Him and i didn't get together right away either. So like i fucking said. Please leave before i call the front desk, and don't ever speak to me like that."

"Can i have something just in case i need to message you?" I looked at him up and down, and he was still looking me in the eye.

"You know where i live obviously. Goodnight." I closed the door on him and stomped my way over to the couch and laid down on it.

"Um who the fuck was that, and why am i turned on by her being pissed off." Ryan said trying to release some tension in the room.

"An irrelevant person."

"He's not actually that irrelevant, she just likes to think he is." Beto butt in and i glared at him because he knew he was right.

"So. That doesn't answer my question, who is it?"

"Can i explain?" Beto whispered to me and i nodded because i appreciated that he asked before he went on about it.

"Paxton Hall-Yoshida. You might know him, or you might not know him." Beto explained.

"Oh, he's friends with my brother."

"Your brother?" I jolted my head to Ryan and got a little bit into the conversation.

"Yeah, Trent Harrison."

"Damn, i actually liked Trent. How is he doing?" I asked Ryan.

"He's doing good. He has been talking about his friend on how he had a girlfriend and something happened the night of the homecoming dance and his girl thought he cheated when he didn't, and went home with her-" He paused and then it came to him that i was the girl who Trent was talking about. "Ex. Shit, it all make sense now."

"Does Trent hate me?"

"No. He just thinks that you need to give Paxton another chance, but now that i know it's you imma have to tell him no to it."

I felt dizzy and my head began to hurt, and Beto grabbed my and squeezed me tight. "I love you." He whispered and kissed my forehead.

"I love you too. I'm going to go lay down in bed though. You can stay out here with him." I stood up and walked off in the direction of that room.

Beto's POV

"Dude." Ryan said after Mercedes left the room. "What would happen if she were to go back with him. Aren't you worried?"

"Ryan. You don't understand." I stood up to go into the kitchen to grab a drink from the fridge. "Do you want a drink?"

"Sure." I grabbed the drink i had and threw it at him and he caught it. "Explain. Well, you don't have to, but i just want to understand."

As i walked back over to the couch, i grabbed a mint from the bowl we had in the middle of the island.

"So. I know she's hurt."

"Obvious."

"Shut up." I popped the mint in my mouth and glared at him. "Anyway. I probably shouldn't have ask her out, but i did. I know there's a connection with her and I, but there's more with her and Paxton. She was depressed. I just want her time with me to be something that she won't forget. When she decides she wants to go back with Paxton, i'll just have to accept it."

"Woah man. Hold on. Do you love her."

"I always have."

"I don't know man. It sounds a little messed up? Have you really thought this over?"

"I've told her. I have the thing i told her when i asked her out actually. It's on the fridge." I got up and went over to the fridge and grabbed the note that was behind a bunch of magnets. "See."

I held the note up and turned it back around to read it again.

Mercedes, you have lived with me for a while. We have never had a problem with each other. You and i have had a lot of history. I need you to just listen to me for this second and it might sound stupid, and if you don't agree just tell me and we can move on after this. I noticed you've been down and you haven't been yourself ever since the day. I want to ask you out and i want to make you happy. I know you don't want me to say his name, but if you and him collide once again i will accept the fact that you might happen to go back, but i just want to see you happy and i want to be the reason you're happy.

"Damn. She said yes?"

I laughed and went to go out the note back onto the fridge. "Yes. A week later. I didn't mind though."

"But dude. Are you like head over heels for her?"

I stood there and just thought about it. Was i? I don't even know if i was. Like was i really wanting to just be happy and make her happy?

"Let me just say we're both happy right now and right now she's mine and only mine."

"So, how do you feel on Paxton?" He asked me.

"He's a boy."

"Duh."

"I never disliked him. Honestly."

"Seriously? Even after the night you had to pick her up crying."

"Mhm."

"Why dude?"

"Because the night of. I saw Paxton chase after her, he ran faster than anyone i saw. He was hurt Ryan. I could see it in his eyes"

"You never spoke to her about it?" I shook my head.

"She never wanted to say his name, and she never wanted to speak on the subject."

"I just wanna know your thoughts completely on it."

"I told you."

"No completely."

"Let me sum it up then, because it's a lot. I know Paxton didn't cheat on her."

Ryan looked stunned and confused at the same time. "What do you mean, you know?"

"Man. I just know, he was actually in love with her."