Chapter 30

Jason

"How could you leave us again? Here I am again, in the same room as a parent I bearly know. To be honest I feel like I've lost something I never had," I cried as if the dead could listen.

I looked at my father's body, so many emotions stirring within.

I heard Roxy's loud voice from outside when my heart sank. I looked up at the door as it was opened. Roxy took two steps inside before dropping to the floor.

"D-dad?"

She scrambled to her feet and held our father's corpse before bursting into tears.

"Dad...come back! Please, dad... Don't leave us again! We're not ready to lose you dad, please..."

I held Roxy in my arms as we mourned the death of our father. He wasn't the best father, but He used the little time he had left to make things right. He made several mistakes but he was still our father.

It did anger me to have to lose him just when he and I were starting to get along but there's no changing that now.

Tyler came in and lay her hand on my shoulder. She gave me a hug saying, "I'm really sorry Jason."

Tyler hugged Roxy who's crying did not cease. She helped my sister out of the room and I remained. I looked at the corpse once more still unable to believe he was gone.

My tears could not be held back at that moment, it was impossible to do so.

I saw a box under his bed. I went down to take it. It was an empty cigarette box.

I laughed pitifully, "Of course. You gave all the life you had left to these damn cigars. How could you leave us?! Why would you leave us again for something that is taking your damn life away from you?!!

"You say you love us but you can't say no to a pack of smokes! I hate the way I remember you!! Why'd you leave like this?! Huh?"

It was no use, he was gone.

"Jason?"

I recognised that voice. I thought I'd never have to hear it again but maybe at this rate, that voice was one I needed to hear.

I turned to face my former best friend standing at the door.

He walked up to me and pulled me into a tight hug.

"He's gone," I cried.

"I'm sorry Jason. I know what you're going through, I know your pain. I'm here for you, even if you don't want me to."

~~~~~~~~~~

Adrian

I sighed closing my apartment door behind me after a long day at work. I sat on the couch and switched on the tv.

"We have breaking news, the chess legend, Daniel Dutton has died at the age of 58. The grandmaster has been battling lung cancer for four years and it is suspected that he died after having his last smoke.

"We have one of our reporters outside the hospital. Cassidy please tell us, what is the atmosphere like outside the hospital?"

"Well, Theodore, there is not much of a significant change out here, we just have other news companies reporting the story, a handful of people have come by and paid respects.

"Here we have his son just exiting the hospital..."

They showed Jason being helped out the hospital doors by Jack. The journalist stopped them.