Chapter 23

Adrian

I sat in silence as Jason's words echoed in my head. I took out my cell and dialled Jack. I took a deep breath to pull myself together.

"Adrian."

"Jack, um I found them," I stated.

"Great!" he exclaimed. "Where are they?"

"Here at Primehealth hospital," I stated sounding a bit broken.

"I should've known," he commented. "I'll be right there."

"Jack, could you call someone to give me a ride home? Something came up," I requested.

"Sure."

"Thank you."

I hung up and sighed. I took out my one of my last two cigarettes and put it in my mouth. I pulled out my lighter and lit it up.

I inhaled the toxic tube and felt the familiar burn hit the back of my throat and travel down my chest then exhaled a thin grey layer of smoke.

I repeated this to give myself the relaxation I needed at that moment. When I finished having my smoke I made my way back inside.

I sat by myself as thoughts and memories raced through my head.

Jason

I sat there all by myself, all that was on my mind was what happened to my sister earlier today.

I went to the cafeteria and got two extra large chocolate doughnuts and a latte. I wonder if Robert likes doughnuts, its pretty typical from police officers.

I sat by myself enjoying my favourite unhealthy supposed to be breakfast when I looked up to see Adrian crying through the glass window. I stopped eating as a wave of guilt crashed over me.

I looked up at her to see her light a cigarette. I got up and cowardly went to sit elsewhere instead of try to fix the damage I had caused.

~~~~~~~~~

Night had fallen, the hospital was silent on this Sunday evening, all that could be heard were nurses finishing off their daily shift as others made their way to their vehicles to commence their journey home.

I was startled by a familiar voice, "Hey Lil J."

I looked up to see Jack. I sulked and looked down at the floor.

"Someone ain't happy I'm here. What's up?" Jack sat next to me.

"I didn't want anyone here for a good reason," I spat.

"Did you not want anyone here, or were you doubting Adrian?"

I looked at him, "She told you I was here."

"Yeah. Now tell me, what did you do? Why did I, when I arrived, catch her smoking?"

"It has nothing to do with you!" I snapped.

Jack stared at me for a moment, "You know, you lucky that girl loves you. If she didn't you and I would be behind bars right now. You can't afford to lose a girl like that."

"Who are you to be giving me advice about my love life when you are sleeping around yet have your ex's picture on your wallpaper."

Jack cocked a brow, "Are you drunk?"

"No."

"Are you angry?"

"No."

"Are you in pain?"