Epilogue

Jason

I buttoned up my shirt and looked at my reflection. I rolled my sleeves up and raked my hand in my hair.

I heard my bedroom door open and looked to see who had entered.

"Good morning brother. You ready?" Jack asked.

I sighed. "This is it Jack. You know there's still a chance to turn back."

"Yeah, but I said we're killing George together. And that's what we're gonna do."

I nodded. I took the necklace Adrian gave me and put it on.

"You look really nervous," Jack stated.

I sighed. "I don't know Jack. I've been telling y'all to reconsider cause, I just have a bad feeling. I feel like there's blood in the air today. I mean we are gonna do a lot of killing but I mean, blood that is not meant to be shed."

"Dont worry too much. I highly doubt it's anything serious. We'll all wear bulletproof vests to be safe. Ok?"

I nodded.

He gave me a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder before leaving.

I took a deep breath and left the room. I walked to the yard where everyone was gathered. I looked at each of them.

"Today, we have gathered here preparing to go to battle. For some of you this might be your first fight, for others this might be a normal occurrence. For some of you, this may be your last fight, others may see another day.

"I just wanna thank all of you. You left behind everything and you are here on the verge of battle with the uncertainty and unease. You are all brave in joining us today to take down our rival.

"We're not invincible, but we're not weak either. We've got weapons and skills in our pockets and surprise on our side. Our enemy does not know we are about to attack. So I know we will emerge victorious.

"We will fight. And we will fight our best! We will not give in to fear! We will not run away! We will fight! And victory will be ours!"

I watched as the men headed to their vehicles to commence phase one.

"Hey brother." I turned to see Jack. He showed me a bulletproof vest already wearing one of his own. "You're gonna need this too."

"Nah, I'll be fine."

Tyler came and took the vest from Jack. She walked up to me and put it on me. "We're not asking you, we're telling you," she said.

I sighed.

"We're not losing you either Jason," Jack added.

"In fact we're both your elders," Tyler smiled.

I rolled my eyes. "Only by two years," I argued.

"I see why Roxy loved this place," Jack stated watching the sunrise.

"This is the view she wanted to wake up to every morning," Tyler said in agreement.

"You know, I don't think Roxy got the chance to tell y'all but... I just wanted to thank you, both. Tyler, from the day we moved here, you've been there for us. You've been our support system without even knowing it.

"Jack, you've been a brother to me, walking with me through hell and heaven. I wanted to thank both of you. For the mark you left in my life and in Roxanne's. I do hope after this, you two can enjoy your future."

They looked at each other then back at me with smiles on their faces.

We took a few more minutes standing in silence and watching the sunrise. It was a peaceful moment. But there was still that nudge in the back of my head.