-5- Two presences

-5- Two presences

After Zhan had finished his article and sent it to his chief editor and the latter had no complaints, Zhan called it a day. He had no more assignments for today anyway.

Once again, Zhan borrowed the car from Chuyue and then set off to visit his grandmother, together with the printed pictures. When he started the engine, he took a last look up to the sky. Thick grey clouds came closer and closer and soon they would cover the sun. Apparently the weather service was right and a storm was coming. And Zhan didn't like driving in a storm, all the more reason to hurry.

Much to Zhan's delight, the weather held up and the grey clouds seemed to disappear again. So he was able to overcome the one and a half hour drive to his grandmother in a relaxed manner, despite tiredness and nervousness.

When he arrived at his grandmother's house, she stood ready at the entrance and awaited him. Supposedly she already knew that he would come. Zhan rather believed that she would be standing in the driveway all day waiting for a visit from the family. And then when someone actually comes, she simply claims that she knew she would have a visitor.

She joyfully embraced Zhan and took him by the hand. But before they went to the house, she turned around and waved to someone who wasn't there. "Come on, you two, or are you going to stand out there? It's going to get very uncomfortable out here soon, because a heavy storm is coming. You better come inside, it's warm and cosy."

Zhan pretended it was a perfectly normal thing. Because the last time someone from the relatives told her she is crazy, she went crazy and hit the relative with a broomstick.

When she arrived at the house, there was already a pot of freshly brewed tea on the table, as well as four cups and a homemade cake. The tea was even still hot. So she could have just boiled it. Did she perhaps really know that Zhan was coming?

Since Zhan didn't want to waste any time and had to drive home again today, he showed the pictures to his grandmother as soon as they sat down at the table. He just put the pictures on the table in front of her and didn't say a word.

Zhan's grandmother took the pictures and looked at each one in peace. "What do you think?" Zhan asked her when she put the pictures away.

"Well, I would say that's a presence." She said quietly and took a sip of her tea.

"A presence? Something like a ghost or a lost soul?"

"Oh ZhanZhan, I'm a little disappointed you still don't know that lost souls, are ghosts too."

"What? There's no difference?"

"Yes, there is. A normal ghost remembers everything. His life, his death. It's just not ready to go. The mind clings to something, like loved ones or hated ones. They remain voluntary."

"And lost souls? What's the difference?"

"A lost soul, as the name suggests, is lost. These souls can't remember anything, not their life, not their death, not even their name. They cannot leave this world until they know who they are. But, there are not only lost souls of dead persons."

"What does that mean? Are there lost souls of people who are alive?

"Yes, indeed they exist. Let me give you an example. A woman falls and hurts herself badly, she comes to the hospital and even when her injuries heal, she doesn't wake up. She is in a coma. Sometimes the souls are able to leave the bodies. But as soon as they do that, and move away from their bodies, their memories fade. Suddenly, they no longer know who they are or where they came from. They start wandering around lost, looking for their identity. If they can find their bodies, their memories come back too, painfully, but they come back and they can go back into their bodies too."

"And what presence is following me?"

"To be honest, there are two. A lost soul and a ghost. The lost soul will always stay near you and protect you. The ghost has been instructed to follow you by a person."

"A ghost with a mission? Isn't that what demons do?"

"Ha-ha, no. Demons don't exist. There are evil spirits who like to be called demons. Because they act and look and behave like demons."

"And now? Is there any way I can communicate with the soul? Or ask the ghost who sent it after me?"

"The soul is very weak right now. You've probably been in a place where there are many evil influences. And the spirit will stop and answer only to its master."

"An evil place? Well, I went to the spiritual convention today."

"It was probably this place. I cannot tell you much about this soul. Except that this soul is pure and innocent. And as for the spirit, you must find the source. But unfortunately, I can't tell you how to do that. But you can buy a tracker that warns you when you get close to the source."

Zhan was completely overwhelmed and confused. This was all very much what his grandmother told him and he was unsure whether he could believe any of it or not. And if, what she told him was true, then all of this is even more confusing. A soul and a spirit are supposed to be at his side? Why?

"Why would a lost soul cling to a living one?" He asked his grandmother.

"Well I don't know. I've never heard of a soul searching for itself stopping searching and clinging to a human being."

That answer got Zhan nowhere. Maybe he could ask the Internet about it. And maybe it wouldn't be wrong to get that tracker despite all the doubt. Whatever he looks like, and however it might warn him.

"Is there anything I can do to help the lost soul?" For some reason, Zhan wanted to help the Lost Soul. If it really exists. However, Zhan's doubts about it continued to fade.

"You mean go to some hospital and hope the soul finds its body again? I doubt that this is a good idea. At least now that the soul is so weak. It would only destroy the soul otherwise."

Zhan couldn't say anything. Instead, he looked thoughtfully at his watch and then out the window. It was time for him to go home. But outside, the storm seemed to be in full swing. He hadn't even noticed how the weather changed, he had been so absorbed in the conversation with his grandmother.

But even if Zhan didn't want to drive in the storm, he had no other choice. Chuyue needs his car tonight, and he has to be at work on time tomorrow morning. Before him is an interview with a designer from Hong Kong. He is very hip right now and Zhan was happy when he agreed to an interview with him.

But before Zhan could say goodbye to his grandmother and leave the house, she gave him an old necklace with an even older pendant. She told him that the pendant would protect him and was also a kind of tracker. As soon as he approaches the source that summoned the ghost, the little red ruby will light up and warn him.

Zhan gratefully accepted the necklace and even let his grandma put it on. "And don't worry about the storm. You'll get home safe." Said his grandmother as she brought him to the door. And somehow, Zhan believed her too.

Zhan didn't even know why he was so scared of driving in a storm. This was completely new for him too. Because until recently, he hadn't had a problem with it. It started just a few weeks ago when there was a bad storm. Suddenly an unknown panic gripped him as he was on his way home in Chuyue's car.

And again Zhan felt this panic. He sat down in the car, fastened his seat belt and started the engine. But before he drove off, he whispered softly: "Don't worry, everything will be fine. We'll come home safe and sound." And in that moment, his fear subsided a little and he was able to drive off.

Just before he reached the city, his panic was completely gone and he even sang a happy song while driving. Inside, he suddenly felt very calm. As if his words and now his singing had some calming effect. But on what? Or whom?