-42- Enlightenment

-42- Enlightenment

When Zhan was already on his way home and looked at his watch, he stopped at the side of the road to call Yibo. With a guilty conscience, because he just left without saying anything and was already over two hours overdue, he dialed Yibo's number.

Already after the second ringing, Yibo accepted the call and Zhan said hastily and without catching his breath: "Yibo honey. I am sorry. I am on my way home and I will be there soon. I hope you and my family have not worried. I'll explain everything to you and the others when I get back."

"ZhanZhan, I'm glad to hear from you. Just come home. Your mother is very worried about you."

"I'm so, so sorry. I'll be there soon. Please tell my mom that I love her."

"I'll give her the message, and you just come home." Said Yibo.

Zhan ended the call and restarted the engine. He assumed Yanli had already told them what happened in the morning and that his parents were almost freaking out. Especially his mother, with whom he had always had a very close relationship.

Half an hour later Zhan arrived at home. No sooner had he unlocked the door than his mother came running towards him crying, took him in her arms and said, "How can you believe that I am not your mother? Look at the two of us, you come after me and you have your father's eyes. Please believe me, we are your parents."

"I know, Mom, and I'm sorry. I promise I'll explain everything. But first you have to let me go." His mother let him go and Zhan wiped the tears from her eyes. He took her by the hand and went with her to the living room to the others. He kissed Yibo and sat down next to him. And his mother didn't let go of his hand.

"So, my love, tell us everything." His mother said.

Zhan nodded and began to talk. "So I assume Yanli has already told you everything. So I don't need to repeat this. After I learned this morning that according to the test results you are not my parents, I could not believe it. I had to think about it all day long and then when I put Yibo to bed I decided to go to the lab and ask if there is really no mistake."

"So you went there?" His father asked.

"Hmm. At first they wouldn't let me in. But then some doctor or scientist came, I don't know. Anyway, he asked me why I was there and I explained. He said to me that it's not impossible that a child can have a completely different blood type than the parents. It may not happen very often, but it does happen, he said. And then I showed him the two test results and he took me to his office. He entered the data into the computer and said to me that there was something completely different in his computer. That the mother and fatherhood are proven."

"I told you, you're my son." Said his mother.

"Here's our son." His father interfered.

"Well, anyway, he asked his colleague, and he was totally pissed off and stressed out, because he had been busy answering calls the whole day, people complaining that the test results were wrong. He said he had a new assistant and she just had the simple task of printing the test results and sending the letters. But apparently she got all the addresses mixed up and so my test results were mixed up with those of another person who also had both parents tested. But it gets more embarrassing."

"More embarrassing how?" Asked Cheng.

"Well, I had to think about what the doctor at the hospital said about the blood types of you. He told me you donated blood right before I did. And then I remembered that you couldn't have done it because you didn't come to the hospital that day. So I called the doctor there and he said the Xiao family was there that day donating blood. And I asked him, why the Xiao family? My father's name is Jiang and my mother's is Xiao. And he said that no, I had a Mr. and Mrs. Xiao here. Then he checked his data and told me the woman's date of birth. Whereupon I accidentally told the doctor, he's an idiot if he thinks my mother is only three years older than me".

"I hope this doctor will not released on patients." Said Yibo and shook his head.

"That would be really bad." Zhan replied.

Zhan's mother clung to his arm and put her head on his shoulder "Fortunately, everything has cleared up. I never let you out of my sight for almost four years, so even a mistake would have been impossible. From the moment you laid into my arms, I never let you out of my sight." Said Zhan's mother.

"I can confirm that, I was there when you were born. She let me hold you for the first time after one week. And after you got so sick, she started to cling. You even had to sleep in our bed because she worried about you all the time. Only just before you turned five did she start to let go. But not much." Zhan's father explained.

"And it is always said that the middle child is often left behind. But not here in this family." Yanli said laughing.

Zhan was glad that everything had cleared up and he wasn't suddenly confronted with the question of who he is and who his parents are. Because he could never imagine other people than these two as his parents.

After dinner, Zhan took Yibo to their room and apologized to him again for not telling him. He explained to Yibo: "You had enough worries about the trial against your father. I didn't want to worry you even more and I didn't want to stay away that long. I wanted to be back when you woke up and explained everything."

"It's okay, ZhanZhan. Next time, talk to me first and don't go away. I was worried and didn't know what was going on. We're a couple and you should always talk to me, even if I have my own problems to deal with. For you I always have an open ear. Just like you're always there for me."

"I know, and I'm sorry, too. The next time something happens, I'll talk to you about it. I promise you that." Zhan said.

But Zhan hoped there wouldn't be a next time. He had been wondering for weeks if his parents had lied to him his whole life, and when the test results came in, his world was turned upside down. Of course he knew he should have talked to his parents about it, but he was afraid that they might actually tell him that he isn't their son.

Zhan helped Yibo into bed and then lay down next to him. He was ashamed of himself because he had caused so much worry to everyone. But even more so because he hadn't even spoken to Yibo. And he vowed himself never to act like that again if anything was bothering him.

"There's one more thing I need to say, Yibo."

"What's that?

"I was so proud of you today. First because you managed to walk four steps, and then because you did so well in court. And I hope you and your father can start over now. I would be so happy for you."

"That was such a wonderful feeling to walk. It hurt like hell, and it was only four steps, but I walked. And now I know that soon I'll walk properly again and that you and I will dance together."

"Mmm, I'm sure we will." Zhan said.

It has been a long and exciting day for the two men. They lay arm in arm in bed and turned on the TV. But after less than fifteen minutes, they both fell asleep.