-9- Discussions and speculation

Zhan was in the small pub at the end of the street that same evening, after his, as he found, upsetting day, together with his two roommates Chuyue and Yu Bin. He just needed a drink.

Just before he finished work and left the editorial office, Zhan talked to the chief editor about Wang Yibo and how strange this case seems to him. Especially since there weren't any reports about the accident and also not about the fact that he has been missing ever since.

His boss told him, if he should sense a good and interesting story, then he should stay on it and start doing some research. He would get the green light from his boss and his full support.

And now Zhan is thinking over a beer and a little shot about whether he should really do investigate in this matter. Would he maybe find out why Wang Yibo's accident and his disappearance was never reported? And then there's the missing investigation on the motorcycle. Did the cops just not want to? Or do they have something to hide?

The latter kept going through Zhan's mind when he thought about the old police chief of the small police station in the village. He showed his dislike for the homosexual Wang Yibo quite openly and even threatened him several times. Could he possibly have an interest that the case won't be solved?

Chuyue, who is not only one of Zhan's roommates and best friends, but also a freelance photographer for the daily newspaper, who has been working for about a year and a half, said: "Think carefully about whether you really want to do research in this case. It took you a year to get away from the traffic reports and now you want to work in this one again of all places?"

"I'm not saying I want to go back to traffic reporting. I'm just saying I'm interested in the case and I'd like to help Wang Yibo's family a little. I also think there's more to it. And if so, I want to find out the truth. Especially for the family who is still looking for their son I mean, just think about it, the father can't stand a bright light and searches for his son night after night, while the mother is always walking along the river during the day and the brother spends more time looking for help than he spends at his work."

"You told me that earlier. Maybe you're right, maybe there is more to it. But then what? Who knows if you're not putting yourself at risk when you're investigating this thing on your own." Chuyue replied worried.

"I think it's good that Zhan wants to help the family. If I was a reporter, I would have done it too. Think what a story it would be if Zhan finds the missing son after over a year and then reunites the family. Not only would he write a great article, but he'd reunite a family." Said Yu Bin.

"And what if it becomes too dangerous for Zhan to handle it alone?" Chuyue asked, annoyed.

Yu Bin shook his head and said, "Then help him. Then he's not alone, and even has someone with him to take pictures."

"I haven't decided yet. And Chuyue, I certainly wouldn't approach this carelessly and brainlessly. I wouldn't investigate openly and attract attention." Zhan explained.

"I'm sure you've already attracted attention by asking questions. And maybe you should start by finding out, who that guy was you kissed at the club. Bai Shu told me he went to watch the video recordings of the evening to prove to you that you were kissing that disgusting guy. But the footage is crap. Nothing but a shaky video. And the guy insisted he didn't go to the club willingly. He couldn't remember a thing."

Zhan hadn't thought about that incident for a couple of days. The man who stole his first kiss and even met him at the cinema and in the bar. And he didn't even want to think about him anymore, because he had enough other things on his mind that were keeping him busy. But now that Chuyue mentioned it again, Zhan once again wondered who this guy actually is and why nobody else but him had seen him.

And suddenly he had to think about Luna Li and the ghost again. He had already completely repressed both, because the matter with Wang Yibo didn't leave him alone. "Anyway, I won't find out what really happened that night. So I won't think about it anymore. I still maintain that he was a handsome guy who kissed me. I wasn't drunk or on any illegal substances, so my mind wasn't clouded. Besides, I saw the guy at the cinema and the other night in the bar."

"And did you at least ask him his name? His phone number? Anything that proves the guy exists and you didn't just imagine him? You must also understand that neither Bai Shu nor I have seen a handsome man with you. Bai Shu saw you dancing with that creep. And he suddenly made a big fuss shortly after you left." Chuyue replied.

"So I believe Zhan. Why would he imagine that? Do you think he'd let some guy who you say is disgusting kiss him?" Yu Bin replied.

"I'm more surprised he even let a guy kiss him. I mean, are you heterosexual now? Bi? Or are you gay? Did you just want to try out what it's like to be kissed by a guy? I don't get it Zhan, really. I thought you were into women. You were with Luna Li, after all, and you never showed any interest in men."

"Because I've never had any interest in men. I don't know what I am. Ever since that guy kissed me, I keep asking myself that. But for now, it doesn't matter, you know? I don't know who he is, what his name is, where he's from. Or if I'm ever gonna see him again."

"I hope you find out soon. Before you break another woman's heart." Chuyue replied.

"Break her heart? She conjured up a ghost to keep an eye on me for her."

"Tell me Zhan, do you still listen to yourself? You've been acting weird since we went to that convention. You keep talking about ghosts and lost souls. You don't even believe that shit. Why do you keep talking about it and now you're accusing Luna Li of doing these things? Are you so stressed right now, that you don't know what's right and wrong?" Chuyue asked.

"All I know is that my grandmother gave me this pendant and told me that when the person, who sent me this ghost, shows up, the red stone inside will light up. Nothing happened for weeks, and when I met Luna Li, it suddenly lit up. I don't know if I really believe in ghosts and souls. I only know that a lot of things are not normal. And think about the incident with my room door. It closed by itself."

"That could have been for any number of reasons. Just like the exhibition hall. Who knows what we inhaled there. Probably some kind of anesthetic that makes you think you're seeing things that aren't there." Chuyue said.

"We can discuss and speculate about this as much as we like. In the end, we'll never know what the truth was. And I think we should stop talking about it now. Let's enjoy the evening a bit more and then go home.

Zhan didn't want to listen to Chuyue any more. Yes, he too has his doubts and keeps asking himself how it could be that he and Chuyue could see and talk to this fortune teller when she died a year ago. Both of them did not know the old visionary before and did not think of her when they were present at the Mass. So how could they imagine that and even know her name?