-39- Job offer

-39- Job offer

Shortly after ten o'clock in the morning, Zhan was allowed to take his boyfriend home. His family came specially with a handicapped accessible minibus, in which they could transport Yibo in a wheelchair. And with a little stopover where Zhan's mother bought ice cream for everyone, it took them almost half an hour to reach their destination.

For the four steps to the front door, Zhan's parents bought and set up a small ramp for the wheelchair. This way, after showing Yibo the property and the garden, Zhan was able to bring him into the house without any problems.

Right on the ground floor, his parents had renovated the big room, which once served as a playroom when Zhan and his siblings were still small, into a room suitable for the disabled. Zhan was impressed how quickly his family managed this. Especially because everything was really adapted to the needs of Yibo. And, it could be adjusted. So if Yibo begins to walk again at some point, they can adapt it to these needs.

After Zhan showed Yibo the lower part of the house as well, he brought Yibo into the new room and into the bed so he could rest for a while. And as soon as Yibo was lying in this big comfortable bed, his eyes closed and he fell asleep. Zhan quietly sneaked out of the room and sat down in the kitchen with his mother, where he helped her with the preparations for lunch.

And just as he was about to cut some green cucumbers for the salad, his cell phone rang. Zhan was completely perplexed by this, because it was a television reporter team who offered him a job. It was exactly what he always wanted. And they came on to Zhan because they figured out how he solved the case of Yibo bit by bit.

But Zhan didn't accept the offer right away, because unlike before, he now had something that was even more important to him than this job. Because at least for now, he just wanted to be there for Yibo and help him in his recovery. For him, this was more important than anything else and the money he saved would be enough for him and Yibo for a whole year. So he was not under any pressure.

"Are you gonna tell Yibo about the job offer?" His mother asked him after he told her he didn't accept.

"Yes, of course. Why would I keep it from him? He and I had a long talk about it at the nursing home and he knows that I' m waiting to work until he gets better. And my boss at the newspaper office said that he would want to hire me back in a year too. Although working as a television reporter had always been my dream. But if I can be honest, that's changed. I kind of loved working for a newspaper and having so much freedom. The boss and the team are great and the pay is good. The salary's as good as the TV."

"Well, they're the biggest newspaper in Beijing and can afford it."

"Well, it's not just in Beijing, Mom. The paper is read all over the country. Even politicians read it."

"Yes, dear, I know. And your dad and I were very proud of you when you started working there, too. And we're glad your boss is giving you a year off, and then you can start working there again."

"Mm, I can even go back to my office." Zhan responded happily.

"But tell me again about the shaman. I don't think I've quite understood that yet." She said to Zhan.

"Well, as I told you, I tried to contact him in Africa for several days. At some point someone answered and explained to me in English that the shaman died more than a week ago. So before I even wanted to fly there. According to the man I spoke to on the phone, he died of heart failure." Zhan explained.

"So you would have traveled there for nothing?"

"Yes, exactly. He probably lived very secluded, so his death wasn't noticed right away. And he had no real contact with anyone else there. So nobody even knew I was coming."

"Fortunately, Yibo woke up in time. Imagine if you had flown there, taken the bus for days to get to him, only to find he had died."

"That's right, Mom. I was thinking the same thing. Who knows if maybe grandma didn't see this coming. After all, she told me he isn't the shaman who' II train me. She said I would receive an invitation from a shaman here in China. I hope so, if it's true, that he's here in Beijing. I will not leave Yibo alone."

"Well, first of all, your Yibo wouldn't be alone because we're here. And second, sure, I can understand you. Besides, you guys have finally found each other and you can be together. So I understand if you don't want to travel through the country without your boyfriend."

"That's right. And like I said, I've taken a year off from everything. The doctor at the hospital said it could still take a year for Yibo to fully recover. And after that I hope he'll go to university, I'll go back to work and maybe we'll find our own place."

"You can stay here with us as long as you want. And I think it's good that you want Yibo to study first."

"Mmm, he just needs to figure out what he wants to do. But I'm sure he will. He's really smart and I'm sure he'll find something he likes. Besides dancing, I mean."

Zhan's mother had to smile. "Yes, dancing is important to him. He had said, his goal is to be able to dance with you again."

"Yes, except I can't dance." Zhan said and laughed.

He and his mother talked for quite a while until lunch was ready. Then he went to the room to wake Yibo. When he woke up, he said he had never slept so comfortably.

Zhan told Yibo about the job offer and Yibo asked him several times if he would not regret having refused. Zhan smiled, stroked Yibo's cheek and said, "No. Well, I haven't rejected it yet, if I'm honest. But only because the boss there told me to think it over in peace. But I do not have to think about it. I want to take a break for this one year and then I'm going back to the newspaper office."

"Okay, ZhanZhan. And I know what I want to study."

"Oh really? What is it?"

"I want to be a social pedagogue and take care of kids and teenagers like your parents do. Especially those who come from bad homes." Answered Yibo the question.

"This is great Yibo. I am sure you will become a great social worker. Then we both know what we want." Said Zhan and put Yibo in his wheelchair.

"Mmm, I'm really looking forward to it. I can't wait to get started with my studies." Said Yibo.

Zhan understood him very well. If he had been in a coma and had previously had to work in two jobs beside the school to support the family, he would also be happy if he could just study in peace and just do what he really wants to do. And Zhan will support him in this.

And thanks to the money that Yibo's stepmother had to pay him as compensation for damages and pain and suffering, as well as the daily hospital allowance that he will soon receive from his insurance company, Yibo will be able to study at a good university without worries.

Zhan even made sure that all the money gets into Yibo's account, which he opened especially for him, where no one else has access to it than Yibo himself. When Yibo said earlier, that Zhan should have it transferred to his account, Zhan immediately refused and said: "Yibo, this is your money! Study and buy a new motorcycle, spare, do whatever you want with it. I wish you that from my heart."

Before they went into the kitchen, Zhan remembered something, something he wanted to do if he found Yibo. He took the bracelet off his wrist and tried to give it back to Yibo. But Yibo immediately shook his head and said, "No, ZhanZhan, it's yours now. I want you to wear it. Because that's what brought us together and made you come looking for me. Besides, I like it when my boyfriend has something from me, with my initials on it. Just make sure you keep it close, because it was a gift from my birth mother. She bought it for me when I was very young. The pendant with my initials always stayed the same, only the bracelet itself changed more often, because when I grew up, at some point it didn't fit anymore or tore during sports or work."

So Zhan put the bracelet back on and promised Yibo to always take good care of it. And if anyone asks him about it, he'll proudly tell them his boyfriend gave it to him.