-33- Seven more days

Even though Zhan stood more and more to the point why he wanted to go, for fear he couldn't bear it if Yibo forgot him, he still wanted to go. Already that morning he brought his car and most of his furniture and belongings to a storage room he had specially rented. Fortunately, he had always lived very frugally and spent only little of his earned money. So he was able to pay the storage for three years in advance.

He already has his flight ticket and would only take a suitcase with clothes, nothing else. What else should he take with him that he would not get there?

Yesterday Zhan had his last day at the editorial office. His boss and his colleagues gave him a little farewell party. Many had tears in their eyes when he said goodbye to them and his boss told him he could come back anytime.

Afterwards Zhan drove to the nursing home to visit Yibo. He had been sitting in his room from the afternoon until the evening and sat there speechless almost the whole time, staring at Yibo who was still in a coma. Sometimes he also looked out the window, lost in thought.

Still everything is covered with a white blanket of snow and it doesn't look like it will change that quickly. The weather went completely crazy. Actually, spring should have come slowly. But it was still bitterly cold and it kept snowing again and again. The river was completely frozen over and sometimes Zhan saw some children running across the ice. While the lake in the park was used as a skating rink by many others.

However, before Zhan left Yibo in the evening, he lay down in bed with him for half an hour and snuggled up against him. "It's good to feel your body heat. Although I could touch you when you were a soul, it felt neither warm nor cold. Somehow it always felt like room temperature. But now when I touch you, touch your body, I feel your warmth and it just feels beautiful. I hope you have a good dream while you're in your coma and don't want to wake up because of it. In the world of the awake people you are not missing anything right now. Everyone is waiting for spring to come. Only a few winter lovers are happy that there is still snow outside. I wish for spring too. The warm rays of sunshine and to see how slowly everything is coming back to color." Said Zhan as he stroked Yibo's arm.

The last book was read and sometimes Zhan didn't know what else to tell Yibo. Sometimes he didn't want to talk either. Because it was very difficult for him to control his emotions. After all, if Yibo should hear anything in his coma, then it certainly shouldn't be Zhan crying. He saved the tears for home, when he was laying in bed and another day had passed where Yibo didn't wake up.

When Zhan came to the nursing home that day, seven days before his departure, the hairdresser had just been there again. Zhan had asked to cut Yibo's hair every two months. Now Yibo looked smart again on his head and Zhan took a picture of it. Because every time the hairdresser gave him a different haircut. And who knows, maybe one day Zhan will be able to show Yibo all these pictures.

In the late afternoon, Zhan saw for the first time how a soul left its body. He went to the visitors toilet and passed a room of a new patient. She fell into a coma a few weeks ago and has now been transferred here because her family cannot afford to care for her at home.

Zhan walked past her room and, for some reason, stopped for a moment and saw the woman's soul come out of her body and wanted to leave immediately to explore her temporary new home.

"You better stay close to your body. Because if you go too far, you won't be able to remember your name or anything else. You will wander around looking for your memories. So stay in this room." Said Zhan.

"I do what I want. I've been in a coma for weeks and I haven't moved. I want to see something other than the ceiling. Especially because this ceiling is particularly ugly." The woman replied.

"You were aware the whole time you were in a coma?" Zhan asked, amazed.

"Yes. And you won't believe all the things you see in a coma. Imagine, my husband actually said to his mother that if I didn't wake up soon, he would divorce me and look for a new wife. Someone has to take care of our child. Too bad I couldn't slap him. I was tied up in my body and today I finally managed to free myself.

"Nevertheless you should stay close to your body. And when you wake up from the coma, you should divorce your husband." Zhan said, well knowing that she won't remember any of this.

But it also made Zhan wonder. Could it be that Yibo in a coma hears everything he says? And would Yibo remember that?

The thought kept Zhan up the rest of the day. In the evening, as he lay in his bed, he wondered how much of what he told Yibo had Yibo really noticed?

When Zhan fell asleep and started dreaming, he was lying in a bed in his dream. He tried to move but couldn't. Instead, he was trapped in his own body and convulsively tried to show his visitors that he heard everything they said.

He saw Yibo sitting next to him at the bed and told him he would leave him if he did not wake up soon. Yibo said in Zhan's dream, "I've waited long enough now, if you don't wake up soon, I'm leaving and we' never going to see each other again."

Zhan tried to make Yibo believe he was awake and could hear everything. But no matter how hard he tried, there was nothing he could do but lie there.

Days went by without Zhan managing to come out of his coma. He tried, he even prayed, but nothing happened. And with every day he lay there, his fear that Yibo would leave him grew.

Two weeks went by in Zhan's dream where he wasn't even aware he was dreaming. Two weeks in which every day Yibo came to him. And suddenly Yibo said, "Today was the last time I had been here. I will leave and start over somewhere else. It seems to me that you do not want to wake up. So continue with your sleep." And then Yibo left.

Zhan tried to scream, try to move, somehow make it clear he was awake. But it was all in vain. Yibo left, and Zhan was in a coma for many years. No one came to visit him, no one spoke to him. He just lay there and didn't want to wake up either. He did not want to return to a life where Yibo did not exist.

When the alarm clock finally rang, Zhan woke up sweating and almost jumped out of bed. The memories of his dream gave him goose bumps. He had often had nightmares, but this one he found the worst. He spent several hours thinking about why he had such a dream.

It must have been the conversation with the soul of the woman. But, did his subconscious want to tell him in this way how Yibo might feel? Or was it his guilty conscience that gave him this nightmare?

He also had to think about the dream when he was back at the nursing home at Yibo. Zhan lay down beside Yibo and read him a report about a motorcycle race, when he got tired, he closed his eyes and dreamt of him and Yibo walking hand in hand on the beach. He dreamt of them lying in the sand and kissing. And then Yibo looked at him thoughtfully and said, "I know why you want to go. But I still want to beg you not to go. Don't leave me just because you are afraid. You'll see. Everything will be all right."

When Zhan woke up, he looked confused at Yibo and wondered if Yibo was talking to him in his dream or if he just wished he did it?