-48- Wang Sanya, the shaman

When Zhan slowly regained consciousness, his head hurt. Only very carefully did he open his eyes, hoping he wouldn't have to look into a bright light that would only make his headache worse.

But when he opened his eyes, there was no bright light. Only a candle stood next to him on a bedside table. Carefully he sat up and had the feeling to throw up. What had she put in his tea? And where was he?

Even though Zhan had only been in Wang Huang's room for a short time, he knew that this room here was a completely different one. What he could see from the wood paneling alone.

Zhan was shocked to discover that he has been changed into another clothes. Suddenly, he also wore clothes that he only knew from drama movies and series that played in long forgotten times.

In this room there is also a wardrobe. He went there immediately to see if his suitcase was there. But there were only other clothes that reminded him of coats and dresses, most of them in black or white. When he saw these clothes, he had to think of his favourite series The Untamed.

Zhan took the candle and went to the door. He opened it very slowly and made no sound, but Wang Sanya called him and said, "Come over here." Zhan literally flinched. But then he went into the next room.

When he looked around, he realized he was in a wooden hut. There was even a fireplace in the living room where the shaman was. The kitchen he could see from here seemed to be more than a hundred years old. And when he looked to the window, he could see nothing but darkness.

"Where are we, and why have you drugged me?" Zhan asked.

"Sit down with me and I'll explain everything." Wang Sanya replied.

She gave Zhan a cup of tea and he shook his head "Haha, no thanks. Better not, who knows where I'll wake up next." He said, sitting in front of her.

"I'm sorry I had to bring you here like this. But for now I simply could not risk you knowing where you were. I left your suitcase and your clothes and your phone behind. You won't need any of this here. There's no power where you can charge your cell phone battery anyway. And you are here to learn. Besides, this way I can make sure you won't tell Yibo about me."

"Honestly, it would have been enough to explain it to me in advance. I would have understood that and then there would have been no need to drug me. You could have just blindfolded me." Zhan replied angrily as he rubbed his aching head.

"You say that now. But can I believe it? No, I'm really sorry, but it's better this way. And if you want to run away, have fun. There's nothing around here for miles but dense forest."

"Why would I want to run away? Do you have any plans for me that would make me want to run away from here?"

"Not really."

"Then I don't understand either. But can you tell me what this has to do with Yibo?"

"First you must learn what your task is. And in order to do that I will tell you a story. The story of the first records of a spiritual leader and a lost soul. So, are you ready to listen to me till the end?"

"Yes, I am."

"Long before humans began to write everything down for posterity, there were soul testers and soul guides. A tester can tell if a soul can return to its body, or if the soul is even worth being saved. And a soul guide then accompanies these souls back into their bodies or helps it to leave the world of the living. This is your task."

"And?"

"Oh, yes, the story. Unfortunately, the first record was undated. A spiritual leader wrote about a lost soul. A woman's. The woman had to provide for her six sons alone because her husband went from town to town looking for work. While working in the vegetable garden, she injured herself on a garden tool on her left hand. The hygienic conditions were catastrophic at that time and so it is no surprise that the wound quickly became infected. Nevertheless, weak and with a high fever, she went into the town to sell some of her vegetables at the market. Her husband had not sent any money for weeks and she had to earn money somehow. And while she was sitting like this at the market, in the middle of the sun, she got worse and worse. She was afraid to ask for help and gritted her teeth until she just fell over. She was immediately taken to a healer who cared for her wound. But, she fell into a coma. The healer's son often had to help. And so he had just come into the room when the woman's soul left her body. It was the first time he saw something like that and yet he knew that she had to stay in her body. But she cried and whined that she had to look after her children. And because the boy did not know what would happen when she left her body, he let her go. Days and weeks went by, but the woman whose hand had to be amputated just didn't come back to herself. The healer was at a loss. Her body was healed. She should have woken up by now."

"But because her soul wasn't there, she couldn't wake up, right?" Asked Zhan.

"Mm. That's right. The boy told his father what he had seen, and of course his father didn't believe him. So the boy searched for the soul alone. He called it, walked all over the place, but he just couldn't find it. He was so desperate that he sat outside the town crying. He wanted so much to help that woman. And then a woman came up to him and asked him what was wrong and why he was crying so bitterly. The boy told her about what he saw and that nobody believed him and that he just couldn't find the woman. And the woman told him that this woman is now a lost soul and is wandering around somewhere. But there was a way to find her. The woman explained that she is a soul tester and that she is able to call souls. At first the boy refused to believe her. But then he remembered that nobody believed him either. And so he asked the woman if she would help him and she agreed. She only needed something that belonged to the woman, a piece of her clothes was enough and she could call her. The boy immediately ran to his father's house, tore off a piece of the woman's dress and ran back to the soul tester. He gave her the shred of cloth and she held it over a flame and the smoke turned green. She whispered the name of the lost soul again and again until the shred of cloth burned completely. Then they had to wait. It lasted one day, then two and finally after three days the lost soul came to the boy, he took her by the hand and brought her back to her body. Hours later the woman awoke from her coma. But she could not remember anything that had happened. The boy told everyone that he had brought the woman back. But everyone laughed at him and his father even beat him for telling so many lies. So he packed up his things and went looking for the soul tester. He went with her and walked through the country together with her, they helped souls wherever they went and then moved on. And when the woman died, she was much older than him, he stayed behind in that place and looked for other soul testers and soul guides, he shared his knowledge with them. And the back then just eight-year-old boy became a man, a medium and finally a shaman. Because in all his journeys through the country he learned from many other shamans. And since then it's the job of shamans like me, soul testers and soul guides like you, to pass on the knowledge." Explained Wang Sanya.

"So now I have to find a soul tester to really help souls?" Asked Zhan.

"You don't have to find him first. He's already found you. He just doesn't know it yet, and he still needs time for his powers to manifest."

"And who is he?"

"He's the man you love and miss so much. My son, my Yibo."

"Are you serious?"

"I am. And, the next time you see each other, you will give him your bracelet with your initials and seal your union. You will be lovers, but also partners and help lost souls together."

"And what if he doesn't want that? He has other plans. And how do you know we'll really see each other again? How do you know we'll still love each other then?" Zhan knew his questions were nonsense and he already knew the answer. Still, he had to ask them. He had to understand and process all of this.

Wang Sanya smiled and said: "Did you know that most of the spiritual leaders were and are brutal doubters? Do not worry too much. When your time has come, you will meet again and then it will be your task to teach Yibo everything. Unfortunately I won't be able to do that anymore."

"Why not?" Zhan asked in shock.

"Because I am sick Zhan. But at least I'll get to see my sons one last time before I die. We will fight and we will reconcile, and then I have to die. And I know I can leave with no worries about my sons. Because both Hai Kuan and Yibo will be very happy."

"Quick question, will Hai Kuan be happy with my brother?" Zhan only asked that because he was just so freaking curious and saw these glances between them.

"Oh, so they've already met? Your brother and Hai Kuan?"

"Hmm. And they always look deep into each other's eyes and they get all red in the face."

"Ha ha, yes, that's Hai Kuan. Just wait and see what happens." She said laughing.

Now that Zhan's headache was gone and he could be sure to see Yibo again, he felt much better. Knowing that his little brother would soon be happy also filled him with joy. But he was also a little nostalgic that Yibo and Hai Kuan would only have so little time with their mother. He wished he could tell them already now that she is alive, so that they could have a few more years with her.