-31- Debate (Part 1)

Only 14 days left until Zhan's departure and now Zhan met the person he had never wanted to see again and would never have thought how this conversation would end.

Luna Li had been in everywhere in the conversation for a few weeks. Since her recurring role in a TV series, she became more and more famous and suddenly appeared everywhere. She was talked about a lot in magazines, in the internet, in TV and even in the radio. Only not yet in the daily newspapers.

But that should change today. Because the publishers, Zhan's employers, also want to have a piece of the cake and take advantage of Luna Li's fame and earn some money with her. So they sent their management a request for an interview. And they responded promptly. But unlike what Zhan's employers thought.

Because Luna Li was all too willing to give an interview, but only with Xiao Zhan! Since everyone in the editorial office knew that Zhan and Luna Li were once a couple and it didn't end well, they actually wanted to keep Zhan out of it. But after her demand, the editors said, Zhan has to do it, whether he wants to or not.

So Zhan sat grumpy in his office waiting for his ex-girlfriend. To make it quick, he'd already made arrangements. Luckily, thought Zhan, he doesn't have to be there for the following photo shooting and can write the article in peace and quiet and then he would drive to visit Mr. Wang and Hai Kuan again. Because Zhan still had some important questions for Mr. Wang and wanted to say goodbye to them at the same time.

With a delay of almost twenty minutes Luna Li arrived at the editorial office and was brought to his office by a colleague of Zhan. When she entered the office, the first thing Zhan said was: "Well, we can consider one question answered. Punctuality is not important to the new star."

"Ha ha, very funny Zhan. We would have been here on time if we hadn't been delayed by an accident on the way here."

"Anyway, come in and sit down." Said Zhan not very friendly.

When Luna Li sat opposite him, she almost looked more beautiful than she did when he first met her. But Zhan always thought she was exceptionally beautiful even then. Which didn't change the fact that she didn't make his heart beat faster.

"Let's start now and get it over with quickly so we can go our separate ways again." Zhan said, and Luna Li shook her head, smiling.

"You still hate me, don't you? And even if I told you I never sent you a ghost on purpose, you wouldn't believe me, right?"

"That's not the point now. Besides, why should I believe you?"

"Zhan, do you think a woman with my looks needs to have her albeit cute boyfriend followed by a ghost?"

"Who knows? I've seen crazier things in the last few months."

"Oh, yeah? Well, that doesn't change the fact that I didn't believe in any of that crap. I still don't believe it."

"Do we really have to talk about this right now?"

"Yeah, I think we have. I should at least have the right to explain myself."

"Well, go ahead. I'm listening." Zhan said.

"This all started because of Gina, a model friend of mine from the US. I went to the US for a photo shoot and met up with her afterwards. She took me to this strange occult and witchcraft store, and I had to laugh heartily when she said she believed in these things."

"And then what?"

"Well, she was betrayed by her husband and wanted something to take revenge on him. Meanwhile, I roamed through the shop and stopped in front of an amulet, the salesgirl told me that with it I could sense when my boyfriend was cheating on me. I laughed because I didn't believe her. But because I liked this amulet so much, I bought it. The shop assistant explained that I had to say a spell and think of my boyfriend, then it would be activated. She also said it would stay cold as long as everything was fine. But when it gets warm, my boyfriend desires another one. And the warmer the amulet gets, the more he desires. Plus, just for fun, I bought a starter kit for summoning ghosts. When I was back in China, a few friends and I opened this starter set with a bottle of wine and we played with it. I thought it was a game."

"Then it would have had game written on it, wouldn't it?"

"It doesn't matter, because I didn't believe all that bullshit. Anyway, a few days later my roommate and I planned a cosy evening in front of the TV, because my boyfriend had other plans. You were at the club with your friends. And as we were sitting on the sofa with the second glass of champagne, this fucking amulet suddenly got really hot. I even had to take it off. And the candle I had from the starter set started to flicker. It was totally creepy. But I thought, no, it was just my imagination, my Zhan, my sweet boyfriend is way too shy to hit on other women. And shortly after that the amulet cooled down again, but remained lukewarm for a long time. Until we both went to the movies. I lent the amulet to my roommate and she told me that this thing got so hot that her skin got a redness and she showed it to me. Again and again it got hot and softened, and at some point I was so annoyed that I just threw it away. Only the candles from the starter set I had used, everything else I threw into the garbage, together with the amulet. There were ten candles altogether, which always burned normally, but flickered from time to time. But since I had thrown away everything else, I did not know what it meant. Until you told me in the bar that I sent you a ghost."

"So you really had no idea?"

"No. I didn't know how to react or what to say. Later, when I got home, I knew that was it with our relationship, but I still wanted to explain it to you. But you cut off all contact. I never intended to send you a ghost, and I still don't believe in it. But I believe you. That's why I also threw out the candles, and my friend from the USA said that all this shit really works, even if it sounds unbelievable. I told her that I lost my boyfriend because of this shit. And she just laughed. But I guess you would have left me eventually anyway, right? The amulet was right, wasn't it? You desired another woman."

Zhan sighed and shook his head. " Not a woman. I met a man that night at the club. Although, meeting is not right word for it either."

"So you are with a man? And not a woman?"

"No, not a woman."

"Somehow I'm relieved to hear that. I would have found it much more worse if it had been a woman." Luna Li replied.

"Well, if you say so."

"But if you found the love of your life, why aren't you beaming with happiness?" Luna Li wanted to know. And Zhan told her the most important part of his story, and Yibo's.

"And now you're waiting for him to wake up?"

"Only 14 more days, then I'm leaving the country for a long time."

"Are you stupid? You're not really leaving before your boyfriend wakes up, are you? You love him, how can you just leave him? How's he gonna feel when he finds out you didn't even wait for him to wake up?"

"I have no choice."

"Xiao Zhan, let me tell you this one thing. You always have a choice! I think you're more likely to run away because you're afraid he'll wake up and he really won't remember anything. You're afraid it'll hurt you too much, aren't you?"

"Can we please just do the interview now?" Asked Zhan because he didn't want to talk about it anymore. Had she perhaps hit a sore spot?

"Sure Zhan. But think about what I said and don't leave yet. At least stay until your boyfriend wakes up. You never know what will really happen. Don't just run away and face it all. Be there for him when he wakes up. He'll need you."

Zhan had always thought that Luna Li was very intelligent and wasted her talent on modeling. He kept wondering why she dropped out of theology studies to become a model. After all, beauty is temporary, and especially in this industry, only very few people over thirty stay in this business. What will she do after that? Was she hoping to become a TV star now?