-12- Start of the investigation

Since Zhan's grandmother told him that she herself did not know how to get in touch with the lost soul of the handsome man, but promised to find someone who could help him, he had no choice but to wait for now. He hopes she will find someone and that he would then finally be able to communicate with the soul without taking possession of other bodies.

In order to distract himself a little bit from his thoughts about the lost soul, for which he apparently was about to lose his heart, Zhan started with the first researches about the accident of the missing Wang Yibo.

He made an inquiry with the police headquarters in Beijing about the accident of Wang Yibo. Since the police stations and departments all access the same databases, as Zhan learned some time ago, he knew that he did not have to drive back to the small village for information about the accident. To find out the status of the investigation, it was enough to ask directly in Beijing.

And already after three days he had an appointment with an investigator. This surprised Zhan when he said: "We have checked your inquiry and could not find any entry about an accident in the database. Nor that Wang Yibo is missing."

Zhan stared at the officer in disbelief and said, "But there were helicopters on the scene and even search dogs. This must have been recorded somewhere."

"Yes, there was a large-scale search operation in and around this village. But, this was about a missing seven-year-old child. This child is said to have gotten lost while playing in the forest. According to our information, the child found its way home by itself. Wang Yibo was never searched because he wasn't reported missing. Any search operation of this magnitude would definitely be recorded. Especially since the helicopter has to be requested first, as well as the search and rescue dogs. Because you don't find something like that in the backyard of a tiny police station. They have to order this in Beijing." The investigator explained.

"So the accident was never properly reported, nor that Wang Yibo has been missing since? Am I getting this right?"

"Yes. Are you sure this accident happened?"

"Yes, of course. I was talking to a local police officer when I found a bracelet with a pendant and initials on it. He told me he knew the owner, but he wouldn't look for it because he' d been missing since the accident. He then sent me to Wang Yibo's family. I spoke to them and they're still looking for him."

The investigator typed something into his computer for a while and kept shaking his head "Nothing, I can't find anything about it." He said, and then he took the phone. He disappeared into an office for about half an hour and when he came back he said: "Well, I just talked to an officer at this police station and he confirmed that this accident happened. He also said that according to his information they were looking for Wang Yibo with helicopters and search dogs. He doesn't know anything about a seven year old child who is said to be lost. But it got even stranger when he said, that the former chief of the police station had the accident vehicle sent here for investigation. If this were true, we would know about the accident and there would have been a record of it."

"The family, or in particular the brother of the missing person told me he had repeatedly asked for help, but had always been refused. And the new chief of the police station told them that since the accident and disappearance of Wang Yibo happened so long ago, he doesn't want to start a new search for him. What do you say?"

"If a person is considered missing, they can't just close the file and say, so, he's been missing for so and so long, let's stop the search. Of course there's no big search when the case lies some time in the past. But that doesn't mean that family members can't still ask that at least one more search report go out."

"I understand. To be honest, I feel like they're covering something up. The missing man is a homosexual and was openly harassed about it. Even from the chief of the police station. He threatened to arrest him if he caught him with a man."

"I can't say now they're trying to cover something up, but it's very strange. I'll ask some colleagues to look into it and talk to the Wang family themselves."

"If I want to find out more, who can I contact?"

"Well, just about anyone. I would ask Fisheries if they pulled a body of an unknown young man out of the river a year ago. Cause that happens more often than you think. I'd also ask junkyards. Well, the accident vehicle must have landed somewhere. Hospitals are also a good place to start. Even the small private clinics. I'd start with that. And, of course, publish a witness search. That is always important. The chance that someone might have noticed something is small, but not impossible."

"Then I will do that. I'll contact the fishery there today and make enquiries." Zhan replied. He thanked the investigator for his time and also for the tips and information.

When Zhan was back in the editorial office, he created a file where he can collect all the information about Wang Yibo and then put it together. After that he talked to his chief editor about the conversation with the investigator. And his chief editor said: "Stay on it in any case. There seems to be a lot more to it. If you need anything, just let me know."

"Absolutely. I also have a feeling that there' s some kind of cover-up going on. I don't know what yet, but I may have a hunch."

"Well, look into it. But be careful. You never know what's coming."

"Hmm. I'll be careful." Zhan replied. Sitting at his desk again, he thought of the Wang family. Fortunately, the village police officer had given him not only the address, but also their phone number. So he called them to let them know what he had found out.

"So no one from the police was looking for our son? So he could have been lying somewhere injured or in the water, but because the police search teams were looking for a missing child, they didn't pay any attention?" Mr. Wang asked.

"Yes, it seems so. The investigator here from the police headquarters said, he would send officers over to talk to you. You can tell them what you were told. I'd like to keep looking for your son. And I'd like to put a newspaper witness appeal. But I need your permission to do that." Zhan replied.

"You'll definitely get it. Thank you for helping us, even though you don't know our son. You have no idea how much this means to us." Said Mr. Wang. Zhan heard him and his wife crying with relief because someone finally wants to help them.

"Then I'll write a witness appeal, and it'll be in the newspaper tomorrow. Even if the chance is very small that someone has noticed something, we should still try. And I'll keep you informed of everything."

"That would be great. And thank you again. It might not bring our son back. But at least somebody's finally giving it a try." Said Mr. Wang.

Zhan hoped to find Wang Yibo and reunite him with his parents. He was willing to go to the limit to help this family. And it wasn't about the possible big story, but only about this family.

And should he really succeed in finding Wang Yibo, he would personally bring him back his bracelet. And until then he would wear the bracelet, so that it would always remind him why he is doing this and for whom.

Zhan stroked with his thumb over the initials of Wang Yibo of the pendant and said quietly, "I will find you and I will bring you back to your family. I promise you I will do everything in my power to bring you back home." Then he turned off his computer and looked at the dark screen. Behind him, appeared a now very familiar figure, who was smiling.

Hastily, Zhan turned around and saw nothing but the wall behind him. "And I will find a way for you and me that we can talk." Zhan whispered smiling.