-28- Two souls, two bodies

Again and again Zhan went through the email he had received in the morning. In one long e-mail, a male nurse wrote to him that he had a patient at the nursing home where he worked, who fit the description of Yibo. But not only that, he also read the article from Zhan, which was published in the newspaper, where there was also a picture of Yibo, and immediately recognized the patient in it.

Immediately, Zhan had shown the email to Yibo as well, but he promptly reacted irritated and said, "I told you before, until we find the boy's body, I don't want to look for my body."

Zhan replied: "But we could at least check if it is really your body. Because then we will know it, for the day when you are ready to return to your body."

"The male nurse said he recognized me. So tell me, what else is there to check?" Asked Yibo sullenly.

"Yibo, I just want to be sure. Because then we can save us the trouble of searching and know where your body is."

"What if I don't want to go back? I mean, what if you're right and I really do forget about you and us? I mean, I said I'd never forget you. But what happens if I do? I don't want to lose you, Zhan. I'd rather remain a soul than lose you."

"So that's what this is really about. Well Yibo, I already told you that my grandmother told me that souls can't stay here forever. Sooner or later they will just disappear."

"But then what are we going to do ZhanZhan? How can we avoid being separated?"

"I don't know, Yibo. But, you as a human, you had already fallen in love for me and wanted to find me. Perhaps when you are human again, you will begin your search for me. Then we could be together again."

"And why don't you stay by my side? Then I wouldn't have to look for you, you would be there and we could come together. You could tell me all about us and maybe I'd remember."

"I explained that to you too. My grandmother said it's not good to remind a person of the time when they were a soul. We should do what we have to do. Find your body, say goodbye and hope we'll find each other again on a different path."

Yibo was not satisfied with this answer and angrily left the room. Zhan sat on his bed and was angry with himself. Because, of course, he could stay by Yibo's side. He could explain to him that he is a reporter and he was looking for him. And then the question of who he is and why he is there would be solved.

But Zhan had a secret. He decided that once Yibo was back in his body and had forgotten everything around him and Zhan, he would find a shaman to train him. He does this not only to learn how to help lost souls better, but also to distract himself from his guaranteed heartache. With this he would also give Yibo the time to recover and put his life in order. At least that's what Zhan thinks at the moment.

After half an hour Yibo came back into the room to Zhan. He hugged Zhan and apologized for getting so angry. "I'm sorry and you're right. We have already talked about it and I am actually pretty sure that I will not forget you. And even if I did, I'd still come looking for you, because I already loved you before my mother tried to kill me."

"I love you Yibo and I'll be waiting for you. And I will not leave your side until you awaken. And then I will wait patiently for you to find me. I will even publish my future articles with a picture of me if necessary, so you can find me faster."

"Then let us go and see if my body is there. And when we find the boy's body, I will return to my body." Said Yibo.

Half an hour later, the three of them were on their way to the nursing home. Zhan, like Yibo, was silent. Neither of them seemed to know what to say. Both were already dreading the day they would leave.

Arriving at the nursing home, the three slowly walked towards the front door. They had to walk through the park, which had not been cared for for a long time. Everywhere the bushes and shrubs grew criss-cross. The lawn was almost knee high and a blackberry hedge covered almost the entire left side of the park. Zhan thought that keeping a park in order for people in a coma who can't go to the park anyway was probably unnecessary.

They entered the nursing home where only here and there a small light was shining. The silence in this home was only interrupted now and then by a beep from one of the monitoring devices. The colour on the walls must have been a nice bright green once, but now it looked stained and faded. No one was in sight, no nurse, no carer. It looked deserted and dead.

Zhan had goose bumps from the lonely feeling that overcame him the further he went into the building.

Through the email Zhan knows that they need to go to the second floor and where the room is from Yibo. They were walking to the staircase when the little boy suddenly started moaning. His stomach and head hurt and suddenly Yibo reacted too. Zhan was completely overwhelmed and did not know which of the two he should take care of first.

And then the young boy and Yibo suddenly ran off, up the stairs to the second floor. In the middle of the corridor, Zhan stopped when the paths of the two souls separated. While Yibo moved to the left, the young one ran to the right. He called out to both of them to wait, but it was as if they didn't even hear him. They just kept walking.

When the boy stopped in front of a room and was about to go in, Zhan could still see Yibo reaching the end of his passage. Two souls, two bodies, but which soul should he follow first?

Zhan chose the boy and ran to his room. He arrived just in time to see the boy's soul disappear into his body, smiling.

Without waiting to see if the boy would wake up or not, Zhan ran to Yibo's room. He entered the room very slowly and saw Yibo's soul being pulled into his body. Yibo looked sadly at Zhan and said, "Please, embrace me again before it's too late."

Zhan found it hard to move at all. They just wanted to see if it was his body. He shouldn't leave yet. They couldn't even say goodbye to each other.

Zhan struggled to move forward to Yibo. He spread his arms and said, "Please, Zhan, please come and say goodbye."

After three more laborious steps, Zhan had reached Yibo and they held each other in their arms for a brief moment. Then Yibo was gone. Captivated, Zhan looked back and forth between the devices and Yibo, they would soon react and Yibo would wake up. But nothing happened. Everything remained as it was, only that Yibo's soul was reunited with his body and Zhan had to drive home alone.

Zhan stayed until the visiting hours ended and waited for Yibo to wake up. But nothing happened, he remained in a coma. And only in passing, Zhan had noticed that the little boy named Lee woke up and Zhan also heard the boy's parents coming and crying with joy. But why didn't Yibo wake up?

When Zhan came home that night, he called the investigator, besides Hai Kuan and his father, to tell them where Yibo is. Zhan found it difficult to stay calm and not to cry. Because while the others were happy, he had to say goodbye to Yibo.