-30- I wish

-30- I wish...

Another seemingly endless three months went by during which Yibo was in a coma and Zhan was with him every day at the nursing home visiting him. Winter had long since arrived, everything outside was white and the beautiful lake in the park, where they were sitting on a bench just a few months ago, froze over. Christmas and New Year's Eve also passed and the New Year began as the old one ended.

Zhan sometimes stood by a river and watched as it froze from both sides and soon the water would just flow invisibly under a thick layer of ice. Everything took its normal course, in nature and also in Zhan's life. Only sometimes he wanted to see something moving, like the water in this river. But very soon, he would not be able to see that either.

He got up in the morning, went to work, went to the nursing home and back home. Day in, day out, the same thing. Even the wish that Yibo would finally wake up was there every day. And now and then he helped a few lost souls, 17 he could help by now, all of them children.

That morning it had started snowing again, already after one hour, the sidewalks were covered with a white layer and soon after that the streets too. Only a few narrow tracks from the tyres of the cars had formed. But apart from that everything was white.

Zhan stood in the middle of a crowd and watched as the huge Christmas tree, which illuminated a market place until last night, was taken down. Chuyue took pictures of it and Zhan, bored, wrote some notes with his cold hands.

Back at the editorial office and in his warm office, Zhan wrote his article, added some pictures Chuyue had taken and sent his article to his boss. After his boss had accepted the article, Zhan got dressed and was about to leave when Chuyue stopped him and asked where he was going.

"You know where I'm going, why do you ask?" Zhan wanted to know.

"Never mind. I just wanted to know how you were doing."

"I'm okay. You know, I'm okay. You have nothing to worry about. I eat, I sleep, I take care of myself. Nothing to worry about."

"We still care about you. I know you hope Wang Yibo wakes up, but what if he doesn't? Do you want to go there every day for the rest of your life and hope he does wake up? What did the doctor say, what are the chances he'll wake up? Twenty percent?"

"I wish you'd stop talking about percentages. I know he will wake up, I just don't know when. And when he does, I want to be there. At least for a moment."

"Yeah, and then you'll want to run away."

"I don't want to run away, Chuyue. I'm just going away for a while to get an education." Zhan has decided to be selfless and dedicate himself to this education. He decided this after talking to the lost soul of the mother, who showed him how selfless she is and what she was willing to do.

Her soul faded and disappeared only a month after Zhan met her. He visited the Wang's at home after Mrs. Wang was found guilty on all charges and now has to spend the rest of her life in prison.

The mother's soul sat weakly on the new sofa at the Wang's house and smiled at Zhan. "It is time. I'm glad I have time to say goodbye to you." She had said, and after Zhan reached out his hand to her and thanked her on behalf of the Wang's family for her care, she disappeared. She left with a smile and disappeared before his eyes.

After Zhan reached the nursing home and went into Yibo's room, he greeted him with a kiss on the forehead and began to wash him thoroughly. He told him how the weather was outside and that there would be another cold wave in the coming days. He also told him about the Christmas tree and that once again he had a discussion with Chuyue, who still does not understand what task Zhan was given.

"Don't always be so stubborn Yibo. You can at least give me your opinion now and then on what I tell you every day. It's silly if I'm the only one talking and you don't even tell me what you think." Said Zhan with a smile.

"You know, dear, I was actually waiting for you to wake up. To be honest, I was hoping you'd wake up sooner. But it's been four months and it doesn't look like you're gonna open your eyes anytime soon. And I don't have much time left either. I'm leaving in three weeks. It's time for me to face up to my training. I have so much to learn about my task and I can't delay any longer." Said Zhan as he combed Yibo's hair .

The shaman who wants to train Zhan has been waiting for Zhan for a long time now and for him to finally come to him. Zhan didn't want to leave before Yibo woke up, but time was running out and the Shaman is no longer the youngest either. Who knows if he will be able to train Zhan for another three years? And so Zhan gave in with a heavy heart and made an appointment with him.

He even quit his job on that very day, just as his lease will expire on the day he leaves. Everything was prepared and he just had to leave on time.

"I wish you would wake up. I wish you would look at me one last time before I leave. And even more, I wish you could remember me." Said Zhan to Yibo.

Zhan had been reading the book Moby Dick to Yibo for several days and reached the last chapter in the evening, just before visiting hours ended. He read the book to the end and then put it on the pile of books he had already read to him. "Only one more left." He said, looking at the only book he hadn't read yet.

"Only 21 more days, then I must say goodbye to you. But until then, I'll come and read to you every day. And just one week after I leave, you will finally be moved to a nicer nursing home. Well, actually, it's not a nursing home. You're finally coming home. Your father and brother are having your room redecorated so you can be home with them. And twice a day, a nurse will come and take care of you." Zhan told him.

Zhan got up from his chair and looked out the window. It had started snowing again, and the paths that had just been cleared of snow were white again.

The streetlights, which were bright orange, made the snow look like it was glistening. In the park of the nursing home there was a snowman, built by some children who came with their families to visit friends or relatives. They had started in the afternoon and with loud laughter four children built this snowman together, with his smile made of small stones.

When Zhan looked at his watch and saw what time it was, it was time to say goodbye once again. He kissed Yibo on the forehead, covered him properly once more and then said, "I must go now. But don't worry, I will be back. We still have 21 days left. Sleep well my dear, see you tomorrow. I love you." Then Zhan turned and left the room. He had stopped turning around when he left, because it was even harder for him to leave Yibo behind and go. But this way Zhan also missed the lonely tear that ran from Yibo's left eye, after Zhan turned around and left.

Will Yibo wake up in time before Zhan leaves? Can anyone stop Zhan from leaving so that he stays?