-32- Debate (Part 2)

Without going into the words of Luna Li again, Zhan conducted the interview with her and was glad when he could finish it. Not that he hated her any longer, he just wanted to prevent her from telling him more things that make him think about himself and Yibo. Anyway, he thought about Yibo and his upcoming departure all the time. So he didn't want to have more unanswered questions in his head.

It was enough for Zhan that his family is angry with him because he will leave the country to meet a Chinese shaman somewhere in Africa who has been living there for 30 years and to get trained by him. And similar to Luna Li, Zhan's mother already spoke with him.

She said: "Boy, if you leave before Yibo wakes up, you will always regret it. It will haunt you for the rest of your life, especially since you don't know what he really remembers. And besides, he's going to need your help when he wakes up. A year and a half in a coma means he has to start all over again. He'll have to relearn everything and build muscle, which can be very painful at times. For all this, he needs the person he loves by his side, not somewhere in Africa."

Zhan knew his mother was right, just like Luna Li was right. But he didn't want to let the thought of leaving just because Yibo might not remember him. He told himself over and over again he is leaving to learn how to help the many lost souls.

His father told him, "Today there is the internet where you can do research. You can make inquiries in any police station. There are also hospitals and nursing homes. You don't have to spend three years learning how they used to handle things in the old days, when they had to turn over every stone one by one. Today we have modern technology and that should be enough."

It was what his father said that made Zhan smile. Because his father, of all people, was usually against all modern technology. He even refused to use a mobile phone until two years ago. He preferred the normal phones and letters, which he still wrote by hand and sent by mail.

After the interview, Luna Li said goodbye and told Zhan once again when saying goodbye: "Don't be stupid and just run away. Stay there and be there for your boyfriend. No matter if he remembers or not. I bet he'll love you either way."

"We'll see." Said Zhan and closed the door behind her. He went back to the desk and wrote his article about her. Since he still has to wait for the pictures from the photo shoot and her management wants to proofread his article, he couldn't send it to his chief editor yet. So he switched off his computer and went to Mr. Wang.

When Zhan arrived in the village, he found himself in the middle of a winter festival, which the villagers gave, because Yibo has been found and will soon be back home again.

Zhan would have expected to meet Mr. Wang and Hai Kuan at the festival, but they were at home sitting in their newly furnished and renovated living room. He had been amazed at how quickly they were able to spend money that Mrs. Wang had been hiding and saving for so long. If it had only been the renovations and some new furniture, Zhan would not have been surprised.

But there was the new TV, two new computers, an expensive game console and lots of still original boxed games. Did they really need them? Had Mrs. Wang foreseen what they would do with the money?

When Zhan was sitting at the dining table with them, also a new one, he asked Mr. Wang: "Why didn't you look for Yibo right away?

"What do you mean, Zhan?" Mr. Wang asked

"Well, you found your wife crying in front of the crashed motorcycle. Your son was nowhere to be seen. And instead of looking for him or calling the emergency, you put your wife in the car and drove her home. And before that, you whispered that you were sorry you couldn't protect Yibo."

"How do you know all this?"

"I saw it in a dream about the night of the crime."

"I see. Well, I've noticed the changes in my wife, of course. And when I saw her there on the ground in front of the motorbike, I still thought that Yibo had gone to the river as he often did and she destroyed it because she was angry. I didn't know he was hit by the car. I didn't know she threw him in the river either. I just knew that motorcycle was the most important thing to my son and that's why I said, "I'm sorry."

"But didn't it seem at least a little strange to you? And the next morning when you were supposedly looking for Yibo and you supposedly found his motorcycle by accident, why did you go along with it instead of telling the truth?"

"You know the answer. I was dependent on my wife. I had to do what she asked, or she would have done something to Hai Kuan too. She told me if I betrayed her, Hai Kuan would be the next who would just disappear."

"But why didn't you talk to Hai Kuan about it, tell him about the threat? You kept him in ignorance, kept him searching for Yibo, kept him begging for help, even though you already knew what was happening."

"What can I say? I am a weak man and I have many faults. I somehow knew that Yibo was not dead. I was looking for him too, as you know. I wanted my son back with me. But I also thought as long as that woman was still around, it would be safer for him to stay away. I didn't know what was happening. I thought he'd run away. I thought he was hiding from her somewhere." Mr. Wang explained.

"You know Dad, I think you were just a coward. If you had let me in on it, we could have figured something out together. But you kept silent and even lied about it." Said Hai Kuan.

"Basically, that makes you an accomplice. You're a witness and you've covered up the crime. You should've been in the dock next to your wife. But I kept quiet because of Yibo, and I will continue to do so. I want him to decide what to do. I just wanted you, to answer these questions before I go away." Zhan said.

He was angry with Mr. Wang. All this had been going through his mind for a long time and he waited in vain for Mr. Wang to at least admit his complicity on his own. But instead, he pretended all the time that he was innocent and didn't know anything.

"What do you mean you're going away?" Hai Kuan asked with a horrified expression.

"I will go to another country for a long time to learn how to use my talents better."

"You can't do this to Yibo! You can't leave before he wakes up. Don't do this. Don't you think I know what is going on between you? Do you think I can't see that you love my brother? So why are you willing to leave him for your fucking talent?" Hai Kuan asked angrily.

"If I want to help the souls, I need to know how. I don't want to hope for coincidences and run from one point to another to see if it helps. And yes, you're right. I love your brother. And I wanted to wait for him when he woke up, I really did. But it's been four and a half months and it doesn't look like he's gonna wake up anytime soon. And when he does, he won't remember me. He'll have forgotten everything that happened in the time when he was a soul. And he shouldn't be remembering either, so he can make a clean new start in his life."

"That's bullshit Zhan. You're not telling me that my little brother, who's been unnoticed at your side for months, is forgetting his love for you? If you really love him, you'll stay! Then you won't just run away and leave him. You're not gonna break his heart!" Hai Kuan shouted and left the living room in a rage.

Meanwhile, Mr Wang sat at the table in silence, shaking his head repeatedly. "If he wakes up and you're not there, his heart will be broken. I am sure of it." He said and left, too.

Zhan took his jacket, put it on and left the house. In the car, he thought about all the words. He knew they wouldn't like it, but he didn't think they'd get so angry about it. Couldn't they understand that he did it to help the souls? Just like he helped Yibo!

"Oh, Zhan. Who are you kidding? Because of fear Yibo has forgotten you, you would probably even go to Siberia. All because you couldn't bear it, if he didn't remember you." He said to himself as he looked at his face in the rearview mirror.