-18- Where is Yibo?

-18- Where is Yibo?

Zhan sat in his office for about an hour and wasn't sure whether to wait for Yibo at home or to stay in the office a little longer. He couldn't just ask him. After all, a lost soul doesn't have a working cell phone and telepathy certainly doesn't work either. And Zhan wouldn't even know how to do that if it worked.

After another twenty minutes, Zhan decided to go home and wait for Yibo. Surely if Yibo should come back to the office, he would know that Zhan was at home waiting for him.

But somehow Zhan had a strange feeling in his stomach. One that told him that Yibo wouldn't just come back. What if now that he knew his name, he could suddenly go to the afterlife? Hadn't he heard or been told something like that? A soul who knows his name can leave this world. Would Yibo really want to leave this world without even saying goodbye?

On the way to his home, Zhan called his grandmother and told her about the happenings. He also told her that he was worried that Yibo would just leave this world. And his grandmother said, "First of all, you should calm down. If his body weren't alive in this world, as soon as he learned his own name, he would have gone to the afterlife. But since he was still there, his body is somewhere and is at least kept alive. I suppose that he needs some time for himself now that he knows at least a part of his tragic past. And you should give him that time as well. He's been following you for a while and will surely come back to you when he's ready."

But Zhan was worried and wanted Yibo to come back to him quickly. After all, he had only been able to see him since today and he had already disappeared from his sight again. Finally he could communicate with him and now Yibo is gone.

"Say, Grandma, what happens if we find Yibo's body?"

"As soon as the soul comes near his body, the soul will feel it and be drawn to the body. The soul goes back into the body. And that's the end of your task."

"What do you mean my task is finished then? Can I at least visit the person then?"

"You can visit the person, but whether that makes sense is debatable. Because once soul and body are reunited, the person forgets everything that happened when this one was a lost soul. And your task is just to help the souls to be there for them and as soon as a soul goes into the afterlife or back into the body, your task is done and you can help the next lost soul."

"So let's just hold on. If I find Yibo's body and his soul returns to his body, he will be able to wake up. But, he will completely forget everything that happened in the meantime, including me?"

"Exactly Zhan. And that' why you should try to maintain an emotional distance. You should try never to fall in love with a soul. Because while you suffer, the soul, or the person, doesn't remember anything that happened while he or she was in a coma."

In relation to Yibo, Zhan didn't like this new information at all. So he could help Yibo, but Yibo would forget him and everything between them. The thought of that saddened Zhan a little bit. If he is already forced to help lost souls, it would be nice if they could remember his help. And especially this one special lost soul, who is close to his heart.

When Zhan arrived home, he went to his room, lay down on his bed and tried to put his thoughts in order. If maybe he didn't have much time left with Yibo, what should he do? Keep his distance, as his grandmother said, or enjoy the time he had left? Probably it didn't matter anyway, because as soon as Yibo is gone he would be suffering as well, even if he tries to keep an emotional distance. For that he was already much too close to him, than being able to keep that distance.

Zhan looked at the bracelet with the initials of Yibo on it. He wondered if Yibo, when he is human again, would really come to him and pick up his bracelet? And how would Zhan react? Should he pretend not to know Yibo? Would that even be possible? Would his parents and friends not tell Yibo who Xiao Zhan is and what he did to find Yibo?

No matter how hard Zhan tried to put his thoughts in order, he could not succeed. Whenever he thought he had found an answer to a question, he had two new questions in his head. It seemed like infinity to him and at some point he became so tired from thinking that he fell asleep, it had been late anyway, it was long time to sleep. Even though Yibo still wasn't back.

When Zhan woke up in the morning, he immediately looked next to him in bed and also in his entire room, but Yibo had not yet returned. "Where is Yibo? Where are you?" Asked Zhan whisperingly. Even though his grandmother told him not to worry, he did.

Two hours later, Zhan was back in the newsroom, sitting in his office and in front of the computer. He had created a new search notice and this time with a picture of Yibo. But this one was not meant for the newspaper. It was for the hospitals and nursing homes. Zhan searched all the institutions where Yibo's body might be, in the Internet, and sent the search ad to them by email, hoping that somewhere among all these institutions, there was one where Yibo's body is.

Around noon, Zhan had sent the last email and Yibo was still not back. He wondered where Yibo might be. Even as a lost soul or just a soul, Zhan didn't know if there really was a difference, he couldn't go anywhere. Even Yibo's energy has its limits. And that's why, for Zhan, the waterfall or the Wang family did not fall into the possible places where he might be.

Sadly, Zhan also had no idea where to go for such a soul, who apart from his own name doesn't know much about himself otherwise. So does it make sense to get into his car, drive off and look for him? Not really.

In order to distract himself a little, Zhan asked his chief editor to give him a job. He wouldn't be making much progress with his investigation right now anyway.

The only thing he had done before he went to interview the new director of the museum, was to call the old police chief and ask him for an interview. But the old man immediately turned stubborn when Zhan mentioned the name Wang Yibo. Suddenly, the former police chief didn't want to talk to Zhan anymore and ended the conversation by simply hanging up, after he said that he wouldn't comment on it. "You stupid asshole." Zhan yelled into the phone as the old man hung up.

Zhan drove to the museum, interviewed the new director, then drove to a dog breeder who won the first place for his dog breeding for the fourth time in a row, and interviewed him about his dog breeding and then he drove back to the editorial office and wrote two articles about his two interviews.

At 7 pm Zhan went on his way home. He took a quick shower, changed his clothes and then went to eat in the small Japanese restaurant opposite his apartment. From there he went to Bai Shu and spent the rest of the evening with him in a pub with a few beers. He even stayed overnight by Bai Shu, because he didn't feel like driving home anymore. Neither Chuyue nor Yu Bin were there and when he was alone, he would only think and worry about Yibo all the time.

Where is Yibo? Will he return to Zhan soon? And why does the old police chief refuse to talk to Zhan about Yibo?