1 (chapter 3)

Chapter 3

"All students must be equipped with...one standard size two pewter cauldron and may bring if they desire either an owl, a cat or a toad. Can we find all this in London?" Harry asks reading our letter as we walk down a street.

"If you know where to go" Hagrid says. We stop at a pub called The Leaky Cauldron. We walk in and there is light music and lots of chatter.

"Ah, Hagrid! The usual, I presume?" The Barman says looking up.

"No thanks, Tom. I'm on official Hogwarts business today. Just helping young Harry and y/n here buy their school supplies" Hagrid says. The man looks shocked as he looks at us both.

" Bless my soul. It's Harry and Y/N Potter" Tom says. The pub goes silent. A man stands up and shakes Harry's hand and kisses mine. I shuffle uncomfortably.

"Welcome back, Mr and Miss Potter, welcome back" He says as a woman stands as well, she shakes Harrys hand, as well and takes mine and shakes.

"Doris Crockford, Mr. Potter. I can't believe I'm meeting you both at last. Oh and Miss Potter you are absolutely adorable" She says looking between us. Harry and I share and uncomfortable smile. A man in robes with a turban on his head appears.

"Harry and Y/N P-potter. C-can't tell you how pleased I am to meet you" He stutters smiling around us.

"Hello, Professor. I didn't see you there" Hagrid says. "Y/N, Harry, this is Professor Quirrell. He'll be your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts" I nod and Harry puts out his hand.

"Oh, nice to meet you" Harry says.The professor doesn't take his hand but smiles.

"F-fearfully fascinating subject. N-not that you two will need it, e-eh, Potter?" He says. Hagrid shuffles and then puts his hands on our shoulders.

"Yes, well, must be going now. Lots to buy. Heh" He says. We start to walk away.

"Good-bye" Harry says. We leave into a back room in front of a brick wall.

"See, you two, you're famous!" Hagrid says rubbing his hands together.

"But why are we famous, Hagrid? All those people back there, how is it they know who we are?" I ask him.

"I'm not exactly sure I'm the right person to tell you that" He says uncomfortably. He then taps the brick wall clockwise with his umbrella. The blocks begin to shift and open up to reveal a hidden, busy street. I smile as I take in the sight. "Welcome, Y/N, Harry, to Diagon Alley, Here's where you'll get your quills and ink, and over there all your bits and bobs for doing your wizardry" Harry and I look around amazed as we pass by shops and owls and bats. I turn to see a broom store, where a group of boys are crowded around a shiny broom.

"It's a world class racing broom. Look at it, its the new Nimbus 2000! It's the fastest model yet" One of the boys say in awe. We both look around and I turn to Hagrid.

"But, Hagrid, how are we to pay for all this? We haven't any money" I tell him. He shrugs and points to a large white building.

"Well there's your money, Y/N. Gringotts, the Wizard Bank. ain't no place safer, except perhaps Hogwarts" He says. We walk into the bank. As we walk down the aisle Harry and I look up at the strange creatures working.

"Uh, Hagrid, what exactly are those things?" Harry asks a little uncomfortably.

"They're goblins, Harry. Clever as they come goblins but not the most friendly of beasts. Best stick close to me" Hagrid says. We both move closer to him as we reach the counter at the end. Hagrid clears his throat as they stop.