5 (chapter 8)

We have just finished our detentions and all of our hands are red raw. With lines. "Harry. You did everything you could" Hermione says. We stood in the same place Draco and I were last week. I look terrible, I haven't been sleeping at all. I don't even know where to start with Draco. I can't break that wall and just say it.

"No one could win against that old hag" Ron says. I sigh and turn to them.

"Even Dumbledore didn't see this coming. Harry, if it's anyone's fault, it's ours" Hermione says. I lean against the pillar.

"Yeah, we talked you into it" Ron says.

"Yeah, but we agreed" I tell them. They both force a small smile at me.

"I tried so hard to help, and all it's done is make things worse. Anyway, that doesn't matter anymore. Because I don't want to play anymore. All it does is make you care too much. And the more you care, the more you have to lose. So maybe it's just better to..." Harry says. I stand up looking at him confused.

"To what?" I ask.

"To go it alone. Hagrid" He says and then sees Hagrid. He asks us to follow him so we do. We trudge through the woods.

"Any idea where he's taking us?" I ask. Everyone looks absolutely dumbfounded.

"Hagrid, why can't you just tell us?" Ron asks and a flurry of Centaurs run past us.

"I've never seen the centaurs so riled. And they're dangerous at the best of times. The Ministry restricts their territory much more... they'll have a full uprising on their hands" Hagrid says. He's right, the ministry is getting worse and things are going to explode.

"Hagrid, what's going on?" Hermione asks. He finally stops and turns to us. I wrap my jacket around my body.

"I'm sorry to be so mysterious, you four. I wouldn't be bothering you at all with it, but with Dumbledore gone... I'll likely be getting the sack any day now. And I just couldn't leave without telling someone about him" He says. A giant comes round from the corner and my jaw drops.

"Oh my god..." I say. Hagrid smiles proudly.

"Grawpy. Down here, you great buffoon. Grawpy. Brought you some company. I couldn't just leave him, because... Because he's my brother. Blimey. Well, half brother, really. He's completely harmless, just like I said. Little high-spirited, is all" He explains. Grawpy swoops down and grabs Hermione. I gasp and Hagrid panics. "Grawpy, that is not polite"

"Hagrid, do something" Ron says as Hermione is fling about.

"We talked about this. You do not grab, do you? That's your new friend, Hermione. Grawpy" Hagrid tries. Hermione turns and points to him.

"Grawp. Put me down. Now" She demands. He gently puts her down and then walks away to a box.

"You all right?" Ron asks and she nods.

"Fine. Just needs a firm hand, is all" She says and brushes herself off. He walks back over with a pair of silver balls.

"I think you've got an admirer" Harry says. Ron points at the giant, protectively.

"You just stay away from her, all right?" He says. Hagrid turns and smiles as he hands Hermione the balls and she makes the noise. She smiles at him.

"He gets his own food and all. It's company he'll be needing when I'm gone. You will look after him, won't you? I'm the only family he's got" Hagrid explains. I nod up at him as all of us share a look.

"Yeah we will" I say. Hagrid hugs me and the four of us go up to the castle. Harry and I stop seeing Fred and George with a first year.

"Fred? George?" I ask. The boy is crying and I kneel next to him.