205

"Vivi?" I heard Roxanne ask from the doorway to my room. I immediately put the picture frame down and looked at her from where I was on the floor behind my bed. "Have you finished packing? Mum says she wants you to eat the rest of your breakfast before we leave."

"Almost finished!" I hurried to say, hoping she would leave me alone. "I'll be down in a minute!"

She turned a bit to walk away but she seemed to hesitate before she walked closer. "What've you got there?"

"There? Where?" I asked. She rolled her eyes at me before moving around the bed. "Why are you on the floor with some picture frame?"

"Stop!" I yelled when she was about to grab it. I grabbed it first and held it against my chest. "Get out!"

"Wha— Vivi—"

"Get out!" I yelled even louder and she let out a groan before muttering something about me being weird. Then she walked out and I let out a sigh of relief. I knew that if she had seen I was hiding a picture of Simon and I under my bed, she would never stop teasing me about it and I'm not even sure Simon knew I liked him, though he would find out if Roxanne knew because she would be telling everyone.

I pulled myself up from the door and walked to my trunk. I opened it and packed the picture frame before I closed the trunk again and locked it.

At the same time as I grabbed my backpack from the bed and swung it over my shoulder, I grabbed the trunk and walked out of the room and downstairs.

I needed to get my barn owl Donut ready. She was sleeping in her cage on my desk. I placed my trunk with everyone else's and put my backpack on top.

"Have I ever told you kids the story about Scabbers, the—"

"Rat." Fred, Roxanne and Sammy said in unison.

"How'd you know I was gonna say that?"

"All you do is talk about it." Sammy said. "I think I know that story word for word."

"Are you sure?" Dad frowned. "The rat that Ron inherited from Percy once he became a-""

"School prefect." The three said in unison said.

"And—" dad continued. "He—"

"Turned out to be a grown man." They said. Dad scoffed and looked to mum with a can-you-believe-them look.

"You've told them the story loads of times, my love." She said and kissed his cheek before walking over to pack away the cereal boxes.

"I'll be down in a minute." I told mum. "I need to get donut ready."

"Tell me again why you called your owl donut?" Fred asked and turned around in his seat to look at me.

"Wha—" I stopped on the stairs, holding onto the railing with both hands to look at him. "Because I love donuts. Hey, you called your owl digit. That's stupid."

"Love, didn't you crave donuts the first time you were pregnant?" Dad asked as he looked at mum who cleaned up everyone's breakfast apart from mine as I hadn't finished it.

"I think I did." She replied. "But I was also craving them when I was pregnant with the twins so maybe that's why you love them so much, Vivi."

"Well I don't love them." Sammy said. "They're disgusting."

I gasped and he turned to look at me with a questioning look. "I am embarrassed, Sammy. How did we share a womb?"

"No, no I have a question!" He held up a finger. "Mum, dad. Are you sure I was born into this family? Apparently you all like donuts. I'm not a red head and I'm attractive to look at."

"Ouch." Fred, Roxanne and I said in unison as Roxanne shoved him.

"I think I would know if I pushed out one baby instead of two." Mum said and looked at him, raising her eyebrows. "Trust me, Samuel Dillon. I gave birth to you. Your head... got stuck."

"Ew... gross." Sammy said and I could tell from the back that he was probably making a face. He's my twin brother so I basically know him better than he knows himself.

I laughed softly before I turned and ran the rest of the way up the staircase. When I entered my room, donut was awake and was now sitting on my window sill. It was her favorite place to sit.

"Good morning donut." I smiled and walked over to her. I stroke my hand down her golden brown feathers and she looked at me before leaning in to my touch, rubbing her head against my arm while she hooted. I looked towards her cage and luckily she had eaten and nearly drank all the water. "Alright, let's get you ready so I can finish my own breakfast."

-
I'm actually terrified of owls...