Seventeen

I walk beside Harry down the street in silence, my mind freaking out as it processes what I just did. I try to look at Harry without actually looking at him, straining my eyes to the left side of their sockets trying to gage him, he keeps his eyes forward walking silently beside me. I follow him into a diner as a spunky teenage hostess points us to a booth. We sit across from each other but avoid each other's gaze. "So..." Harry huffed drumming his fingers on the wood tables.

"I'm sorry!" I blurted out.

"No! It's ok, just unexpected."

"I don't know what came over me, I just get so mad when Liam it's around, I wanted to piss him off."

"So you used me?" Harry asked.

"Oh God, no! That's not what I meant." I gasp realizing I'd hurt his feelings.

"Emma." Harry said my name silencing me instantly, he reached across the table grabbing both my hands. "I don't know what happened back there, but I don't care."

"Really?"

"Yea, really."

"I hope you don't take this the wrong way Harry, I like you, but I just moved here and we live next door..." I trail off hoping he'll get my drift.

"I get it Em, no judgments. Let's just take it slow, whatever happens, happens."

"I'm sorry I used you to make him jealous."

"Emma, feel free to use me whenever if it means I'll get another kiss like that." Harry grins.

"Oh, did you enjoy that? I think that was me saying thank you for taking care of me last night."

"Hmm, if that was thank you then what is I'm sorry for punching you in the face going to get me?" He laughed.

"Breakfast." I laughed at him. "My treat." The waitress came back to the table with our water glasses.

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket as I fish it out seeing Casey's caller ID. I slide the answer key open as I apologize to Harry.

"Hi." I say into the receiver.

"Do you return phone calls ever?" Casey's voice comes barreling out of my phone. "Why have you called me back?" Her voice is so loud that I actually look around to make sure I'm not disrupting the rest of the diner.

"Case, sorry I forgot." That's honest, I did forget about returning her missed call yesterday while I was in the pub with Niall and the rest of the staff. "You off kissing more attractive Brits! Can't even call your own God damn best friend back!" She shouts in the phone definitely disturbing the whole diner now.

Harry gives me an expression of sympathy as I excuse myself from the booth.

"Jesus Case!" I shout back after I leave the diner. "I'm sorry, after work we went out with a couple of friends and ended up getting drunk so my neighbor Harry took me home. I don't even remember getting there."

"Wait, hold on a sec, tell me the whole story! Casey demands.

"I'm a little busy at the moment." I say glancing back to Harry who is looking at the menu still.

"How can you be busy at 7 o'clock on a Saturday? You should be hungover and miserable sounding!"

"I'm at breakfast with Ha," I start to say his name then stop. " a friend."

"A friend?" She questions me.

"Ah yea. A friend."

"What's this friends name?"