Chapter 9

Sunday 16th May 1965

Prime Ministers Plane

Jackie sat in her office, she was nervous. She wanted to create a good impression for her people considering this was her first official state visit.

“Miss Bouvier.” Tish knocked on her door.

“Yeah?”

“We’re about to land.”

“Ok, thank you.” Jackie replied.

As the plane skidded along the runway, Jackie’s stomach was doing back flips. She’d never dreaded a moment as much in her life as she was dreading this.

When she stepped out in to the sunlight she smiled. The sun was hot; it was a change from British weather. Her eyes landed on the President, he looked a lot better than he did in January she thought.

“Madam Prime Minister.” He smiled shaking her hand.

“Mr. President.” She replied. “How are you?”

“I’m fine thank you, yourself?”

She nodded. “Good thank you.”

He guided her to the waiting limousine and held the door for her. “Thank you.” She said before climbing in. Jack sat down beside her. “How was your flight?”

“Fine.” She replied.

He nodded and ruffled his hair. “I hope you’ll enjoy your stay at Blair House and that this summit is successful.”

“Yes, I heard the press are calling it the ‘Big 2 Meeting’.” She joked.

He smiled. “Yes, I heard that too.”

Jack was quiet till the car stopped. “Harry Truman lived here while the renovations at the White House were being done.”

Jackie smiled. “It’s a beautiful house…. Was there not an assassination attempt on Truman here?”

He nodded and guided her into the house. She looked around in amazement. It was huge and very posh. It was bigger than Downing Street. “Wow.”

Jack laughed. “I hope your comfortable here.”

She nodded. “I’m sure I will be.”

After a while Jack left and headed back to the White House. He hoped this would be a successful two weeks.