Chapter 33

Wednesday 9th February 1966

The White House

Jack was in the Oval. He was excited. He was going on a tour of Europe which meant London, which meant Jackie. He couldn’t stop smiling. “Sir,” Kenny asked coming in.

“Yeah?” He replied looking up.

“Have you packed for your trip?”

“Not yet.”

“Would you like me to start for you?” He asked. Jack nodded and went back to the document he was studying.

Kenny left and headed up to the residence. Jack wasn’t very good at looking after himself; his staff had discovered that since Helen died.

Jack suddenly got up and hurried up to his room. “Kenny stop!” Jack yelled. Kenny appeared from the walk in closet. “What?”

“You didn’t find anything you shouldn’t did you…”

Kenny raised an eyebrow. “Not apart from the woman’s underwear.”

Jack cringed and turned away. “And Jack, I saw the initials on it. Do you care to explain why you have the British Prime Minister’s underwear?”

Jack turned to face him. “Kenny, that doesn’t concern you.”

“Jack, tell me or I’ll tell Bobby.”

He sighed. “We kind of… are in a relationship… and Bobby knows.” He whispered. “Please just don’t tell anyone.”

Kenny’s mouth fell. “It wasn’t just a once off?”

Jack shook his head. “Just don’t, okay?”

Kenny nodded, suddenly realising that it wasn’t a waitress in Spain, it was the Prime Minister. “Leave.” Jack said feeling uncomfortable.

Kenny happily obliged and hurried out of the room. Jack sighed and collapsed on to his bed. That was another person that knew. The list was getting longer, he thought as he closed his eyes.

In a week he would be with Jackie. That made him happy but for now he had to go to a meeting with Bobby.

9pm

Jack was still in the office when Caroline came in. “Daddy?” She asked sweetly. Jack smiled at her. “Yes, Buttons?”

“Could you give this card to Jackie, please? It’s from me and John.” She smiled. He nodded. “Of course.”

Caroline crawled on to his lap. “What are you doing?”

“Reading about the Russians.” He sighed.

“Why don’t you come tuck me in? That would be more fun.” She giggled. Jack broke out laughing and got up. “Let’s go.”

He read to Caroline while lying beside her on the bed. Before he knew it, he was fast asleep beside her.