Chapter 40

Wednesday 25th March 1966

Gleneagles Hotel, Scotland

The annual world leader’s summit was being held in Scotland with Jackie being the host. It also gave her the perfect opportunity to spend some time with her future husband.

Jackie was standing in between President Kennedy and Premier Khrushchev as the official photos were taken. “I can’t wait to test out Scotland’s most famous golf course.” Jack said.

“I’m sure you’ll find a good opponent.”

He smiled before they were all ushered inside for the start of the meeting. Jackie was seated next to De Gaulle and the Australian Prime Minister Holt. Jack was at the other end of the table.

As the meeting got underway Khrushchev started having a go at Jack and the Americans Jackie began to feel dizzy.

“Mr. President, you can’t accuse us of lying about our weaponry after your many attempted assassinations of Mr. Castro!” Khrushchev exclaimed.

“We have done no such thing!” Jack retaliated. His anger was rising.

Jackie was rubbing her temples as the two men shouted at each other. She was sweating and her head was fuzzy. She sat forward to take a drink of water. Her hand shook as she took a sip from the glass. De Gaulle noticed. “Are you okay?” He whispered why the others fought amongst themselves.

She nodded. “Yes, thank you.” She wasn’t even concentrating.

Fifteen minutes had passed and Jackie was distracted. She was shaking and she felt faint. She quickly leaned forward. “Excuse me a moment.” She whispered to De Gaulle. She walked quickly to the door but she felt extremely dizzy. Before she could do anything, she fainted.

The thud of her body hitting the floor caused everyone to look up. Jack’s eyes immediately widened. The room fell silent as they saw the Prime Minister lying there. Jack stood up quickly, causing his chair to fall backwards. “Jackie!” He exclaimed.

He got down on the floor beside her and held her, making sure she was breathing. “Jackie, Kid…” He whispered stroking her hair. “Please wake up.”

It never even occurred to him that this was strange for the other world leaders, who were all watching him stunned.

At that moment Clint burst in, followed by Agent Philips. They were shocked and radioed for an ambulance. The next hour was a blur for Jack; he kept Jackie tightly in his arms.

After putting Jackie on a stretcher the doctor looked at the President. “She’ll be okay, Sir.”

He nodded unconvinced. She was pale. “Jackie, I love you.” He whispered as he let go of her hand. The doctor flashed a glance at him before closing the door to the ambulance.