Chapter 7

Sunday 14th February 1965

Chequers

Jackie emerged from the Prime Minister’s weekend retreat house wearing brown slacks and a white shirt. “I’m just going riding Mr. Philips.” She called.

He nodded. “Ok, Ma’am.”

Jackie went to the stable and stroked her horse’s nose. As she rode she felt relaxed, people left her alone when she went riding, it was her way of thinking and keeping calm.

When she returned to the stable her agent Andrew Philips was standing. “Hey.” She smiled. She was full of energy and her cheeks were flushed pink. “Miss Bouvier.” He nodded.

She looked at him. “When will you call me Jackie?”

“When you are no longer Prime Minister and it isn’t my job to protect you.” He replied scanning the surrounding area.

She smiled. “Mr. Philips, I will hold you to that.”

He grinned. “Ok.”

As they walked back to the house she played with her whip. “So do you have any plans for tonight?” Jackie asked.

He was a little stunned by her question. “Well I’m treating my wife to dinner in a fancy restaurant in central London.”

“She’ll like that.”

“I’m glad I have your approval.” He said before they both laughed.

That evening Jackie was all alone. It was depressing, she thought. She was only 35 years old and she was all alone, all she wanted was a loving husband and children but she was getting old. She sighed and tucked into the ice cream pot as she watched a rubbish film.

Hyannis Port, USA

Jack was lying on the beach trying to ease his back. He hated everything about this day, it made single people, and especially widows feel miserable.

Caroline walked towards him. “Daddy, this is for you.” She handed him a handmade card. “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

He smiled. “Thank you buttons.” He hugged her. “I love you.”

“Love you too Daddy!” She giggled. She ran back into the house to draw another picture.

Jack got up and put the card in his room. He adored his children; if he didn’t have them he would be lost.

That night he sat on the beach with Lem. “Do you remember the good old days?” Lem smirked. “Travelling the world, you nearly dying in Japan and Britain.”

Jack nodded and took a sip of beer. “How could I forget?”

Jack hated being alone, it was the worst feeling ever.