Chapter 27

Monday 22nd November 1965

Washington DC

After arriving back in DC, Jack and the children headed to Arlington Cemetery. He was holding their hands tightly as they walked towards the grave. He felt sad; Helen was by his side for ten years. They were more friends than in love but he did miss her.

He stopped when he reached her grave and stared at it. He hung his head and placed the flowers he’d brought. He stepped back to let the children have a moment with their mother.

“Can you please leave?” He asked the press. “You’ve got your pictures, just let the kids be.”

They obliged and backed off. “Daddy, don’t you want to see Mummy?”

“Yes, Buttons.”

He got down on his knees and placed a kiss on the headstone. “You produced two wonderful children, Helen.” He whispered. He said a quick prayer before getting up. He took the children’s hands and they had one last look before heading home.

10pm

That night Jack was alone in the residence. The children were in bed. He grabbed a beer and sat on the Truman Balcony. He let a few tears fall from his eyes. He quickly wiped them away.

As he watched over his sleeping city he realised his life was never going to be normal. When he left the White House he wouldn’t be left alone to raise his children or be with Jackie. He sighed and rubbed his head. He had no idea Clint was watching him. It was difficult for everyone to see a grieving President.