Chapter 29

Wednesday 15th December 1965

The White House

Bobby didn’t sleep much last night. He kept reading the letter over and over in his head. He arrived the following morning determined to find out more. He had his morning meeting with Jack before going to confront Clint.

“Good Morning, Clint.” Bobby said approaching him.

“General.” Clint smiled. “How are you today, Sir?”

“I’m just fine Clint.” Bobby said eyeing up the agent. “I want to ask you a few questions, is that okay?”

Clint nodded. “Of course.”

“Last month at the Camp David summit, did you notice anything strange between the President and Prime Minister?”

Clint tried not to react. “No Sir, why?”

“Oh no reason….” Bobby said calmly. “What happened at Chequers?”

“Nothing Sir, the President spent most of the time in meetings with the Prime Minister and he took strolls to clear his head while she went riding.”

Bobby nodded. “Okay, if you remember anything else strange let me know.”

“Uh… okay…”

Bobby hurried off. He had another idea. At lunch while Jack was in the residence Bobby hid in his closet.

Jack came in and closed the door. He groaned as he collapsed on to the bed. “Damn Bobby…” He mumbled.

Bobby held back his annoyance and continued to watch him. Jack picked up the phone. “Can you put me through to Downing Street please?”

Bobby watched as Jack waited. “Hey.” Jack smiled. “How are you? I miss you.” He said.

“I miss you too Bunny.” Jackie replied.

He blushed. “Clint hasn’t told anyone so we’re all good.”

She giggled. “I love you.”

“Love you too.”

“Did you get my letter?” Jackie asked in her breathy voice.

“Yeah, I did. It was so sweet. I hadn’t even noticed you’d taken my shirt.” He laughed.

“Good. I slept in it last night.”

He grinned. “We’ll see each other soon, I promise Kid.”

“Okay. I have to go.”

“Okay, bye Kid.”

“Bye.”

Jack put the phone down and changed into his pyjamas.

Bobby’s eyes widened as he heard his brother say those three words. Once Jack fell asleep Bobby snuck out, he went to check the phone log book. His worst suspicions were confirmed. The President of the United States was in love with the British Prime Minister.