Chapter 25

Saturday 20th November 1965

Jackie woke just after 5am. She rolled over and kissed Jack. “I better go to my room so the children don’t see us.”

He smiled at her. “Okay, Kid.”

She pulled her robe on and snuck across the hall to her room. She got into the bed and fell asleep.

Jack was pounced on by Caroline and John just after seven. “Morning kids.” He smiled hugging them.

Caroline giggled. “Where’s Jackie?”

“In her room… why?”

“I want to go see her!” Caroline said jumping off the bed. She ran into Jackie’s room and on to the bed beside her. “Hey Jackie.”

Jackie opened her eyes and looked up. “Caroline.” She grinned. “How are you?” She asked.

“I’m fine! I missed you.”

Jackie blushed and put an arm around her. “Why?” She asked softly. Caroline sat up and looked at her. “You looked after me when someone tried to hurt me.”

Jack and John came through. John was hyper. “Morning Jackie,” Jack smiled. “I see Caroline woke you.”

She giggled. “Yes, she’s loveable.”

Jack ruffled Caroline’s hair. “Why don’t you kids going get breakfast ready?” He suggested. They nodded and ran off.

Jackie sat up and took his hand. She leaned close and kissed him. “I’m looking forward to today.”

He grinned. “Me too.”

8pm

Jackie had been riding with Caroline and had gone to change. She left her room to go and find Jack. She found him lying on John’s bed with John in his arms. He was reading to him.

She smiled at them and walked into the dimly lit room. “Only if the world could see this side of you.”

Jack looked up and smiled softly. “He’s out like a light, I’m just coming.” He whispered. Jackie nodded and switched the light off. She watched as Jack placed a kiss on his sons head before closing the door.

Jackie took the book out of his hands. “The Owls in the Family.” She smiled. “It’s a good book.”

“It’s Caroline and John’s favourite.”

She smiled and put it back in the bookcase before flopping on to the sofa. He joined her, wrapping her in his arms. “I was thinking since you get on so well with the kids, we should tell them about us.”

She smiled. “I think that would be a good idea.”

“Did I tell you about Kenny telling Bobby about what happened in Spain?” He asked switching the TV on.

“No.”

“Well he told Bobby I’d slept with the waitress and Bobby went ballistic with me, I had to try so hard not to laugh.” He giggled.

Jackie smiled and leaned against him. “Just wait till he finds out.”

“Oh I’m dreading it.” He teased.

Jackie kissed his cheek before resting her head on his chest. A weekend flew by, she thought.