Chapter 60

Thursday 25th December 1983

Solway House, UK

After the death of Jackie’s parents, Jack and Jackie had bought her family home from Lee. It’s where they decided to spend Christmas.

Jack was lying on the sofa watching the ‘Morecombe and Wise’ Christmas Special. Jackie was in the kitchen cooking. Just before 10am the doorbell went. Both Jack and Jackie reached it at the same time. They smiled before opening the door. “Hey.” Caroline smiled.

Jackie hugged her. Her boyfriend Ed followed shyly behind her. John rushed into his stepmothers arms. “Mummy Jackie!” He laughed.

She giggled. “When are you going to stop calling me that?”

“Never.”

They smiled and turned to look at 16 year old Patrick who was still getting his stuff from the car. “Mum!” He smiled. Jackie kissed him before closing the door.

“So, how’s everyone?” Jack asked taking coats and presents.

As the family chattered and opened presents Jack silently slipped out of the room and went to his study. He had a special gift for Caroline and John. “Dad?” Caroline asked poking her head in. “Can John and I come in?”

Jack nodded. “Kids, when I first moved into the White House your mother wrote two letters, she always feared something would happen. I’ve had them for a long time and I never knew when to give them to you but I think the times right.”

Caroline was reduced to tears as she read her letter. John struggled to hide his emotions too. “Oh Dad.” Caroline hugged him. “We will always take care of you.”

Jack looked at her. “Is that what the letter says?”

“It also says how much she loves us.” John whispered. Jack took a deep breath. “Your mother will always love you.”

Both of them nodded and hugged him. Jack kissed them before they went back to the dining room. Jackie was sitting quizzing Ed. “You think I’m bad till you meet my wife.” Jack said patting Ed on the back.

Jackie smiled. “Caroline, he’s a lovely boy.”

Over dinner the family were enjoying themselves. “Mum?” Patrick asked. “Am I British or American?”

Jack looked up. “You’re half and half.”

Patrick nodded and continued eating. He would never know how much he meant to his parents.

After dinner Jackie was in the kitchen clearing up when Ed came in. “Mrs. Kennedy can I ask you something?” He asked nervously.

Jackie looked up and smiled. “Of course.”

“Eh… well…. Do you think I could ask Caroline to marry me?”

Jackie’s eyes widened. “Of course but you’ll have to ask Jack.” She smiled. They made a lovely couple.

“I did but he told me to ask you as well.” Ed replied.

Jackie hugged him.

9pm

Jackie was in her room reading a book when Jack came in. “Hey Kid.” He grinned, sitting down beside her.

She looked at him. “Bunny, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing…. I just thought….” His hand landed on her knee and his eyes met hers. She blushed. “You thought what?”

“We could spend some time together.”

She giggled. “But the kids are downstairs…”

“Oh their old enough now to amuse themselves.” He whispered stroking her knee. Jackie nodded and wrapped her arms around him. She kissed him hard before pulling her under the covers.