Chapter 3

Tuesday 3rd November 1964 (Presidential Election Day)

Hyannis Port

9pm

Jack snuck out of the family home and slid his sunglasses on. He pulled his hood up and folded his arms to keep himself warm against the cold November air. He walked silently along the beach. These last few months had been the unhappiest time of his life.

He took a deep breath and turned to face the sea. It was rare to find the President truly alone, but it was one of these moments. They were becoming more frequent since Helen had been killed but he didn’t mind them, it gave him time to think. It was his own personal time when he knew the children were safe and no one could see him cry.

He gingerly sat down on the cold sand and cried into his hands. To make matters worse the doctor had diagnosed him with depression about two months ago, he hadn’t told anyone. He’d also kept the fact that his Addison’s was getting worse due to stress. The more he thought about it the more he sobbed violently.

Joan was standing on the porch of the house looking for her brother in law; she was the only one who’d noticed him sneak out. She wrapped a scarf around her head before walking across the sand. She could hear his audibly sobs as she approached.

“Jack?” She asked softly sitting down beside him. “What’s wrong? You’ve not been yourself in weeks.”

“I’m fine.” He whimpered looking straight ahead.

Joan wrapped her arms around him. “You don’t have to tell me Jack, but you need to know I’m always going to be here for you.” She whispered.

He was silent for a few minutes before sitting up. “I…I… have depression…” He whispered. His voice was hoarse.

“Oh Jack.” Joan hugged him tightly. “I’ve suffered from it in the past, you don’t need to be ashamed, I will help you through this.”

He nodded. “Thank you Joansie.”

“I won’t tell anyone else, don’t worry.”

He sighed and rubbed his eyes. “I trust you.”

She stood up before pulling Jack up. “Are you coming to watch the rest of the results with us?”

“I’d like to go home.” Jack whispered.

She smiled. “I’ll tell them you’ve gone to bed.”

He managed a small smile before heading in the direction of his house. He closed the front door to find Caroline sitting on the stairs waiting. “So do we still have a house to live in?” She asked.

Jack broke into a broad grin. “The results aren’t in yet, so we may be homeless.”

She smiled and kissed his cheek. “Goodnight Daddy.”

“Night Buttons.”

He switched the lights off before going to his room. He changed into his pyjamas and crawled into bed. “Please let everything work out.” He whispered before closing his eyes.