Chapter 55

Saturday 20th January 1968

Wexford

Jack was lying in bed thinking. It had been a long year since Patrick had been born. Vietnam had required a lot of attention but finally all troops had been removed. He was tired and it showed in his eyes. “Bunny.” Jackie whispered kissing his lips.

He smiled. “Morning, Kid.”

Jackie wrapped her arms around him and nuzzled his neck. “We need to spend some time together this week, you’ve been so busy and stressed.”

“I know.” He sighed. “But you’ve been busy too.”

She nodded. “How about we have a night to ourselves this week?”

“I like that idea.”

They were lying cuddling when Caroline came in carrying Patrick. “Dad! Jackie!” Caroline exclaimed giggling.

Jack blushed and sat up. “Patrick! Happy Birthday.” He lifted Patrick out of Caroline’s arms and put him on the bed.

Patrick looked at Jackie and crawled towards her. “Mama…” Jackie gasped and wrapped her arms around him. “You just called me Mama…”

Jack smiled as his wife started to cry. “Jackie, what’s wrong?”

“It’s the first time I’ve ever been called Mum…” She said smiling. “Their happy tears.” She giggled.

Jack kissed her cheek before looking at Patrick. “Can you say Daddy?”

Patrick looked at him. “Pwesdent…”

Jack’s eyes widened. “I guess that’ll do for now.” He laughed. Jackie smiled and kissed Patrick’s head.

3pm

Jack was lying on the grass with the children while Jackie set out the picnic. “Clint.” Jack said sitting up.

“Yes, Sir?”

“Can you back of a bit?”

Clint understood and the agents disappeared so they couldn’t be seen. Jack smiled and kissed Jackie’s cheek. “This looks lovely.”

She blushed. “I want to make Patrick’s first birthday special.”

Caroline was sitting with her brothers. John was playing with his toy helicopter but Patrick was more interested in the cake Jackie had just produced.

Jackie smiled as she looked at her family. She was glad she’d gave up her job as Prime Minister she’d never felt more fulfilled in her life. She felt emotional just thinking of how happy Jack had made her.

“Are you okay?” John asked.

“Yeah.” She smiled as she hugged him. John grinned and kissed her cheek. “Mummy Jackie.”

Jackie giggled. “My little Johnny boy.” They both looked at each other sniggering. Jack watched. He was so glad his kids got on with her.