Chapter 21

Saturday 26th June 1965

President Kennedy’s Room

Jackie woke to the sun streaming in through the windows. She smiled as she looked over at Jack. “Morning Kid.” Jack smiled.

“Morning.” She said placing a kiss on his lips.

He grinned and pulled her close. He saw their clothes scattered on the floor. “What time is it?” Jack asked.

“Just after seven.”

He sighed and played with her hair. “I just wish we could spend some time together but I have to fly home soon.”

She nodded and rested her head on his chest. They were lying in silence when the door opened. Jack shoved the covers over Jackie immediately. Kenny was carrying a breakfast tray. “Good Morning Mr. President…..” He paused seeing the lump beside him under the covers. His eyes narrowed. “Who’s that?”

Jack sighed. “It’s just one of the waitresses from last night.”

Kenny breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s okay; I thought it was going to be someone who would go to the press.”

“No, Kenny.” Jack replied.

He nodded and left. Jackie appeared from under the covers. “That was close.” She whispered.

He kissed her head. “I know.”

8am

Jackie was standing in Jack’s arms. “I have to go; Tish is waking me at nine.” She said.

“Okay, I’ll see you soon Kid.”

She kissed him tenderly. “I love you, Jack.”

“Love you too.”

Jack helped her sneak out past security and to her room. He sighed he just wanted to be with her.

Air Force One

Jack was lying on the bed in the private cabin. He was tired and his back ached. He’d just closed his eyes when there was a knock at the door. He groaned in protest. “What?”

“Can I come in?” Kenny asked.

“If you really must.”

The door opened and Kenny looked at Jack. “You can’t just sleep around.” Kenny said. “I know your single but….”

“Kenny.” Jack said sitting up. “It was a once off, just forget it.”

He sighed. “Fine.”

Jack closed his eyes. This was never going to work but it had too. He loved Jackie.