Chapter 54

After somehow managing to muddle through the speech Jack stepped down from the podium feeling very dazed. A senator shook his hand. “Congratulations, Sir.”

Jack nodded and flopped into his seat. He had a feeling of a mixture of emotions after the birth. “Jack.” Bobby hissed. “Pay attention.”

Jack stood up. “I…I have to go to the hospital.” He abruptly walked out, only for Caroline and John to catch up with him. Bobby rolled his eyes and followed. The press immediately cornered him.  “Why isn’t the President going to talk to Congress?”

Bobby sighed. “I don’t really know, I think it may be to do with the fact that his wife just had a baby.”

The reporter nodded. “Okay.”

When Jack arrived at Jackie’s room he found his wife sleeping with Patrick in her arms. He smiled and picked up his tiny son. “Hello Patrick, I promise I’ll look after you for the rest of my life.”

Patrick wrapped his tiny hand around Jack’s finger and smiled. Jack felt tears in his eyes and pulled his son closer. “I love you, son.”

He sat down in the chair next to the bed and slipped his hand into Jackie’s. At that moment Bobby came in with the children. “Sh, Jackie’s asleep.” Jack whispered. Caroline and John tiptoed over to their father and looked down at the baby. “What’s his name?” Caroline asked stroking her new brother’s hair. “Patrick.” Jack smiled.

Caroline kissed his head. “Welcome to the family, Patrick.”

After half an hour Bobby took Caroline and John home. Jack decided to stay a while. Without realising it he fell asleep.

When Jackie woke around 2am she glanced to her left and smiled when she saw her husband asleep with Patrick in his arms. She slowly leaned over and placed a hand on his knee. “Bunny.”

Jack looked startled. “Hey Kid.” He yawned.

“Why don’t you go home?” She whispered. “You look exhausted.”

He handed Patrick back to her before placing a passionate kiss on her lips. “I love you, Kid.”

“Love you too, Jack.”

It was 4am when Jack’s head hit his pillow. Upon arriving back at the White House his staff made him have a drink to celebrate the State of the Union. Bobby went to wake him just after eight but he found his brother snoring. “Jack,” He poked him.

He groaned in protest. “What?”

“You have a meeting in ten minutes.” Bobby said annoyed. Jack rolled over and raised his hand he felt around till he grabbed Bobby’s tie. He pulled him close and glared at him. “Four hours sleep I’ve had, go away.”

“Fine another hour.” Bobby huffed and slammed the door. Jack groaned.

That evening Jackie and Patrick were discharged from hospital. Jack held her hand as she got into the car. Patrick was in her arms tightly wrapped up. “He has your eyes.” Jack whispered.

She blushed and kissed him passionately. “He has your cheeks.”

He smiled and wrapped his arm around her. Nothing could make him happier.