Chapter 6

Saturday 30th January 1965

St Pauls’ Cathedral

Jackie following the Queen and Prince Philip was in a somber mood with a black lace veil falling over her face. She watched as the Greatest Ever Briton Sir Winston Churchill’s coffin was carried down the steps. It made her feel honored that she was worthy of holding the same job he once had.

She was standing watching the mood of the crowd and other heads of state when she heard someone take a deep sigh. She slightly turned her head to see the President rubbing his eyes. She felt sorry for him; this was his first funeral since his wife’s.

After the coffin had left for the remainder of its journey before its final resting place, Jackie was escorted to her car. She had a meeting with President Kennedy in an hour at 10 Downing Street; it would be there first official meeting.

When Jackie got to her room she was slightly nervous, she had only ever spoken to him on the phone. She fixed her make-up and put her hair up before taking her box jacket off. She smoothed down her black shift dress before going to gather her folder.

Meanwhile, Jack was in his car on his way to Downing Street. He was staring straight out of the window. He could feel the tears in his eyes building. “Sir?” Kenny said.

Jack turned to face him. “What?”

“Are you okay?” Kenny lowered his voice.

He nodded. “Yes.”

When they arrived at 10 Downing Street Jack faked a smile and got out of the car. Jackie appeared at the door. They shook hands for the cameras. “Mr. President, do come in.”

He nodded and followed her. “It’s finally a pleasure to meet you.” Jackie said as she guided him to the stairs case. “Miss Bouvier,” Tish called. “Aren’t you going to use the State Dining room?”

Jackie shook her head. “No, we’ll be just fine.” She said. She could tell the President seemed fragile. They went to the private residence.

“Do sit down.” She smiled. “I’ll get us some tea.”

“Eh, Miss Bouvier.” Jack said. “Could I use the bathroom?”

Jackie smiled. “Down the hall on your left.”

He nodded. As he closed the door he let a few tears fall, today was one of the hardest things he’d ever done. He splashed some water on his face before going back to the Prime Minister.

Jackie was sitting waiting. She looked at him. “Mr. President are you okay?” She asked softly.

He nodded. “Today was rather tough.”

She placed a hand on her back. “I know, but please don’t think I judge you, I don’t.”

“Thank you.”

“Oh another thing please call me Jackie.” She smiled. “I hate Madam Prime Minister.”

He laughed and held out his hand. “Jack, Jack Kennedy.”