Chapter 36

Friday 8th April 1966

The White House

Jackie was in the United States this weekend for a state visit to celebrate 17 years since the establishment of NATO.

Jack was standing on the lawn with Jackie by his side. They were watching a fire work display to commemorate the anniversary. Jack so badly wanted to hold her hand but he had to resist.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it Mr. President.” Jackie whispered getting closer to him. She saw him smile. “Yes, it is Miss Bouvier.” He replied.

As the night neared on Jack was becoming agitated. He just wanted to be alone with Jackie. “Excuse me.” He whispered to Kenny. Jack disappeared into the residence. He rushed to his room. “Daddy.” Caroline smiled. “Are you ready?”

“Well… I think so.” He smiled.

She kissed his cheek and handed him the small black box. “Good luck, Daddy.” She whispered.

He hugged her. “Thank you, Buttons.”

After he’d fixed his hair he went back down to the dinner. He watched Jackie as she mingled with other guests. He felt slightly nervous.

At 11pm he went and took her arm. “Come on, I’m going to escort your home.” He whispered. She blushed and nodded.

Blair House

After helping Jackie out of the car they headed inside. His hands finally landed on her hips. She turned around and giggled wrapping her arms around his neck. “How long have you been waiting to do that?”

“To long.” He pulled her close and kissed her softly. She gasped and kissed him back. “I love you.” She whispered.

“I love you more.”

She giggled and nuzzled his neck. “Let’s go to the balcony.” Jack said.

She nodded and slipped her hand into his. He smiled and opened the door through the bedroom to the balcony. Jackie leaned against the railings looking at the sky. “Jackie.” Jack said taking her hand.

She turned to face him. “Yes?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“I’ve wanted to do this for a while…. But I know what your answer will be, because it can never happen and….”

Jackie placed a finger on his lips. “Jack, you’re confusing me. Just ask the question.” She smiled.

He blushed and nodded. Jack held her hand as he got down on to his knee. In his other hand he pulled out a small black velvet box with a diamond and emerald ring inside. His eyes locked with hers. “Jackie, will you marry me?”

Jackie gasped she was shocked. Tears welled in her eyes. She nodded frantically. “Jack! Yes!” She exclaimed smiling brightly. Jack smiled and slipped the ring on to her finger. She helped him up and wrapped her arms around his neck. “I love you, Jack.”

“I love you too.”

They kissed passionately before heading inside to celebrate.