Chapter 11

The White House, the Residence

7pm

Jackie arrived wearing a navy shirt and white slacks. She was guided through the White House to the private residence. Jack appeared. He looked happier than he did earlier and he was dressed casually. “Hey.” She smiled closing the door.

“Hi.” He grinned. “Can I get you a drink?”

“Can I have a wine?” She asked sitting down. He nodded and disappeared into the kitchen. He handed her one. “Dinner will be ready soon.”

“Okay…. Are you okay now?” She asked.

Jack sighed and looked at her. “I’m suffering from depression…. It was just a harder day than normal today.”

She nodded. “You do know it’s nothing to be ashamed about, right?”

“Yeah.”

She sat beside him. They were in deep discussion about the new Bond movie when Caroline came in. “Daddy!” She exclaimed. She stopped when she saw Jackie.

“Hey Buttons.” Jack smiled pulling her on to his knee. “You okay?”

“Yes, I was wondering if you could come tuck me in?”

He nodded. “I will but meet the British Prime Minister.”

Jackie smiled. “Hi Caroline, I’m Jackie.” She smiled at the little girl. Caroline shook her hand.

After tucking Caroline into bed Jack took Jackie to the dining room. “Enjoy the fish chowder.” He grinned.

“I’m sure I will.”

She cleaned her plate quickly. “That was delicious.”

He grinned. “It’s my favourite.”

“Mr. President….” Jackie said. “Isn’t it awfully lonely living in the White House? It seems so isolated.”

“Please call me Jack,” He smiled. “But yes it is lonely.”

“Jack, you better call me Jackie.” She smirked.

“Jackie.”

“Yeah?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Let’s go to the living room, it’s comfier and we can talk some more.” He said getting up. Jackie obliged and gently sat on the sofa.

At 11pm Jackie got up. “I better go but I shall look forward to the state dinner tomorrow night.”

He nodded. “Night Jackie.”

“Night Jack.” She closed the door and headed back to Blair House. She felt sorry for him.