Chapter 49

Saturday 25th June 1966

Camp David

Jackie had just returned from the stables with Caroline. Both had a passion for horses. “Jackie, you have to teach me to jump like that.”

Jackie blushed. “I will.” She smiled.

Caroline ran into the house and into Jack’s arms. He was sitting looking at a document as John played with his toy helicopter. “How was riding?”

“Good.” Caroline smiled before heading to her room to change. Jackie sat down and pulled John into her lap. “What are you looking at Bunny?”

Jack sighed and rubbed his eyes. “Just a briefing on the new British Prime Minister.”

Jackie nodded. “I’m going to change.”

Jack nodded and put the document back in his briefcase. He went and left his briefcase in his study before going to the living room. John was lying on the floor now watching the TV. His toy helicopter was by his side.

When Jackie returned she wrapped her arms around Jack before sitting next to him. “Are you ready to tell them?” She whispered.

He smiled. “Yes.”

Caroline came skipping into the room with her hair in a ponytail. “Kids, can we tell you something?” Jack asked.

Caroline sat forward in the chair and looked at them. John turned around too. “What is it?” Caroline asked.

“You’re going to have a new sibling. Jackie and I are going to have a baby.” Jack smiled.

Caroline jumped up grinning and dived into both Jack and Jackie’s arms. “I’m so happy!”

Jackie smiled and kissed her head. “John, are you okay?”

He nodded. “Does that mean I’m no longer the youngest?” He asked climbing on to his father’s knee.

“Yes, Sammy boy.” Jack grinned.

John grinned. “Okay!” He wrapped his arms around Jack. “Can I help pick the name?”

Jackie nodded. “Of course, you can all be involved.”

8pm

Jackie was standing on the decking with a glass of water looking at the stars. “Jackie?” Caroline asked.

Jackie turned around and smiled. “Yes?”

“When are you and Daddy getting married?”

Jackie smiled. “We haven’t discussed it yet, but soon I think.” She replied. “Caroline, can I ask you something?”

“Yes.”

“Will you be my flower girl?”

Caroline’s eyes widened and she nodded frantically. “I’d love that.”

Jackie grinned and hugged her. “I’m so glad; it means so much to me.”

Jack caught the two of them hugging and wondered outside. “What are you two up too?”

Jackie blushed. “Caroline agreed to be my flower girl.”

Jack smiled and kissed his daughter. “John will carry our rings. It’s going to be a lovely ceremony.”

Jackie kissed him. “It will be.”